🔕 🔔

Besides the color, what is the difference between a white onion and a yellow onion? Can they be used interchangeably in a cooked dish?

Thank you. ;o)

asked about 5 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

White onions have a stronger "onion flavor". Moving down the onion ladder, brown onions and then "sweet" onions such as Walla Walla, Maui, Vidalia get milder and in my opinion, taste much better.

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

Agree with pierino, but I honestly think they can be interchanged pretty easily UNLESS the onions are a really big component of the dish. I definitely prefer yellow for caramelizing since they are sweeter naturally.

Fcaf034b 4516 4274 8fab b403cd8f1edc  photo

Vidalia onions are much sweeter!

Chef Laura at Home

97043910 0361 479c bed1 89ab1eecb0e6  claire

I agree with JessicaBakes, white and yellow varieties can be interchanged except when you are building a dish on caramelized onions, yellows are best for that. Raw white or red onions can be used in fresh salsas, most people find red onions best served raw. You can tone down the "onion" by putting slices in an ice bath.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Most storage onions, which can keep as long as 9 months or more, are yellow onions. Copra is a common variety. Most people would consider them to have a stronger flavor, although varies hugely depending on where they are grown. Many white onions are so-called sweet onions, like Walla Walla, Vidalia, Ailsa Gray, the so-called Spanish onion, and so on. Often (although not always, again depending on where and how they are grown)) they are less harsh-tasting when eaten raw. They generally don't keep for more than a few months in storage. And then there is the red onion..... As you can see by my use of terms like "generally," the onion you buy in the store is subject to a lot of influences pertaining to cultivation, variety, etc. so it is really hard to be definitive on this subject! Me? I use what I've got at the moment. Right now, I've used up the white onions since they won't store and have progressed to using up the red, since their storage quality is so-so. By January it'll be all yellows (stored cool, dark, and dry), some of which will still be good next June.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Also, white onions tend to have a higher water content. Within the yellow onion variety itself, the flatter the onion, the more sulfuric compounds it has and the more it makes you tear.

Thanks, everyone! I used the large white onion I had in my French Country Soup (recipe posted here, somewhere). I just sweat the onion at the outset in that recipe. Or at least that's all I did today. It turned out just fine. I didn't notice a bit of difference. Thanks again. ;o)