🔕 🔔

How to use onion tops?

It is a great year for onions in my garden and today picked some red and white onions - still young. Has anyone used the onion tops for cooking? They are so fragrant. Thanks in advance.

asked by SKK over 1 year ago

Use them in making stock.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

pesto.

74ae45ce 244b 4655 8a1e a8655c72047a  img 4116

You can blanch and then puree them. Then add a bit of the puree to things like marinades (it would be really good in something similar to piri piri chicken/shrimp) or a pasta sauce.

Bb52f6ce fef6 4f17 99d6 628351bdaaf8  shadow

I love using still tender onion tops just as I would use scallions. (I especially like them lightly fried in salted butter and scrambled with eggs.)

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I like to saute them and use them as filling for filo pies, or tarts

Blanch them for no longer than 20 seconds and then make a pesto with parsley to balance the flavor. Toasted walnuts or cashews work well for nuts. I made a frittata for some clients using this onion top pesto, Gruyere cheese and Oregon morel mushrooms that was out of this world.