Thought I had ordered 1 jalapeno from Fresh Direct but ended up with a whole pound!

Any suggestions?

minibakersupreme

Pepper jelly!

Panfusine

Pickle em in vinegar & salt.. they'll come in handy when you want to make Tex Mex food

ZombieCupcake

Salsa :)

Bevi

Yes - hot pepper jelly! Fabulous!

BoulderGalinTokyo

Jalapeno Pepper Jelly freezes so you can enjoy even in the winter. If they are too hot, substitute some bell peppers and still have some HEAT.

Make stuffed jalapenos. It's more work, but it's amazingly good.
- slice jalapenos in half, length-wise. Remove seeds and some of the white membrane
- stuff one half with a little cream cheese and some sort of chopped cooked meat (optional). We like to use smoked pulled pork or brisket. Use whatever you have on hand. One of my friends used pastrami.
- Sandwich filling with other jalapeno half, then wrap the stuffed pepper with half slice of bacon. Secure with toothpicks if needed.
- Grill until bacon is cooked and mostly crispy. Or you can bake at 450F on a wire rack in a baking tray.

Suprisingly, it's not all that spicy, and totally addictive. Great appetizer with cold beer.

Droplet

Cheese stuffed and breaded jalapenos freeze very well too. I have done both frying first and freezing and freezing and then frying but the latter is more troublesome when you go to fry them later because of the condensation (and the breading gets somewhat mushy). Already fried ones crisp nicely in a toaster oven on demand, however many you need at a time.

BoulderGalinTokyo

Droplet--very great suggestions, thank you for comparing both approaches.

cookinginvictoria

I would freeze at least some of them, if you have the room in your freezer. This thread has some good tips: http://food52.com/hotline...

I love all the suggestions, I did the same with fresh direct but not jalapeno's with tangerines, I thought I was ordering 4 tangerines and got 4 huge bags.

homemade jalapeno poppers are awesome!

I've experienced a jalapeno deluge - not due to Fresh Direct, but from planting multiple jalapeno plants, clueless about how many peppers one plant would yield. I made jalapeno cornbread, salsas, you name it. Finally, I ended up giving many away to friends and neighbors. Pickling/jelly sounds like a good way to use lots at once. Maybe make jalapeno infused vodka to give as gifts too.

petitbleu

Are they red or green jalapeños? If red, you could make homemade chipotles en adobo.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Maybe roast, de-skin/seed and freeze in small batches for use in chili, dips, salsa, etc?

Put a few in a bottle with vinegar.
Use that hot pepper vinegar for collard greens, kale, or mustard greens.

One pound of jalapenos is a lot! Definitely would make a ton of poppers but jalapenos don't keep that long. Another alternative is escabeche which is essentially a pickle. Mexican style the ingredients would be vinegar, sliced carrots and sliced garlic. Some salt too.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Stir fried in a wok and sprinkled generously with coarse salt. (I do this regularly with pimientos de padron, and when they are not available, I sub with jalapenos)

savorthis

We pickle them with carrots and red onion for a beautiful topping for carnitas. I have also roasted and frozen them when the garden produced too many. But I say be adventurous and dry them in a smoker to make your own chipotles!

DIY chili-garlic sauce, harissa, etc. I'm amazed how many peppers are used in recipes. It may not call for jalapenos -- just change the name of the end product...

Hilarybee

Pepper Jelly! Served over cream cheese. My favorite thing.

Rose Inn

Put them in a zip lock bag and freeze them you'll be able to use them in sauces and more. They will become soft but the flavor will still be there. I do this at the end of summer to use all winter.

I know that with a little one running around (i.e., you're playing goalie full time) your time available for extracurricular activities is greatly diminished. Try making lacto-fermented pickles. Couldn't be easier. It's just like making sauerkraut. I'd probably add the green tops of a few scallions to the jar. It will take about five minutes, all told, and they'll keep forever in the fridge. I'm not a big fan of jalapenos, but I do know that with the warm weather upon us (now, or shortly), they'll be handy. Think Torrisi spicy sauce . . . on pizzas . . . . chopped into cole slaw and stuffed in wraps . . . on burgers . . . but you already know all this. ;o)

Carol Dan

Make this amazing chili paste! Put them on a baking sheet - whole - with a few cloves of garlic that is not peeled. Broil until blistered on all sides (may have to remove garlic - or some of the chilies before they're all done) - then peel garlic and puree with the chilies (no need to peel them - just remove the hard stems) in a blender with enough water to keep the blades moving. Add a little vinegar, I like cider vinegar in it and a little salt - or just add the salt and add some vinegar when you're ready to serve it. It keeps for a week or so in the fridge - or you can freeze it, preferably in small batches in little zip locks, and it will always be ready to add to any fresh salsa your making, or for chili mayo or chili yogurt sauce. It is so, so good - and dead easy. (works with other chilies too. It can be very hot, of course - but you can add as little or as much as you want. It's definitely something I always have on hand now.

LE BEC FIN

I am of the freezer peruasion myself. As mentioned by Rose Inn, they will get soft but the flavor will still be there.In a similar ituation to yours, I just put them all together in one bag (no need to go through the 'lay out in a single layer/nontouching on a sheet pan and freeze' step because once frozen, they separate readily. I am still using a frozen bag of them after 4 years! to no harm imo. I use a lttle more than called for, that's all.

Thanks, everyone, for all these amazing suggestions! How will I ever choose?

Carol Dan

Choose a couple! Since you've got so many chilies - it's an embarrassment of riches! ;-) (seriously - that chili paste I posted is amazing - and you can do a lot of different things with it)