I am planning a big birthday dinner for around 20 people and was thinking about beef tenderloin. Any suggestions?

I would be grateful for recipes, sides, menu plans! Thank you!

• Posted by: Vivi B.
  • April 10, 2013

FutureChef
FutureChef April 10, 2013

You could go for the classic... beef Wellington! It's a great dish for a special occasion--it's got that 'oooo-aaahhh' factor. Plus mushrooms are looking food right now and will shortly be at peak production time.

lloreen
lloreen April 10, 2013

If I were you, I'd do a main beef dish that can be prepared a day or two in advance and even tastes better that way. 20 people is a lot and you will be stressed enough getting the drinks and appetizers out and actually managing to take a shower and look presentable. I'm thinking Boeuf Bourguignon http://food52.com/recipes...
Or short ribs
http://food52.com/recipes...
Those both are delicious and look like you went to a lot of trouble, but they are actually quite easy. You can cook them the day before and then reheat in a crockpot, on the stovetop, or in the oven while the party is going on.
However if your heart is set on tenderloin, here is a good recipe
http://food52.com/recipes...

Once you decide on the protein, the rest will be easier to plan. You don't want to have too many things in the oven at once.

Vivi B.
Vivi B. April 11, 2013

The tenderloin recipe is AWESOME! I made this a while back for a small group of friends and it was outstanding. Thank you for the reminder. I think it is between that one and the poached tenderloin that Rose Inn suggested. I can not thank everyone enough for the suggestions.

Rose Inn
Rose Inn April 10, 2013

I have two suggestions.
1. Hickory smoked tenderloin of beef.
Trim tenderloin from excess fat and grill on charcoal grill with indirect heat for about 35 to 40 minutes or till just under your desired internal temperature. Adding hickory chips atop the coals at the beginning of the cooking process. Remove the beef from the heat and let rest for up to 1 hour. When you are ready to eat, return beef to grill to reheat then slice and serve.
2. Beef ala fiscelle (poached beef tenderloin) This may sound unusual but is very good. Using a good beef stock flavored with red wine and herbs in a pot large enough to hold the tenderloin without over flowing. Poach to your desired tempature and remove. Rest beef at least 20 minutes. Keeping stock hot until you are ready to serve. Return meat to pot, heat, remove and carve. Serve with horseradish mouse. (sour cream, whipping cream, horse radish, L&P, tabasco, S&P) Whip the cream and fold in the other ingreidients and you have a light horseradish flavored sauce. Good Luck

Vivi B.
Vivi B. April 11, 2013

The poached beef has me quite intrigued. I may try that before the event - guess you cant say a "dry" run given the cooking method ,but as a practice. It would be so tender!

Mike Starke
Mike Starke April 10, 2013

Alton brown makes an incredible beef tenderloin wrapped in a salt crust. It really does a great job of keeping the juices in and adding a great flavor to the meat.

Vivi B.
Vivi B. April 11, 2013

I am ashamed to say I did not know of Alton Brown! Now I do. thanks so much.

the reluctant cook
the reluctant cook April 11, 2013

For a side dish for beef, I love puréed cauliflower. I braised a head, cut into large florets, in 1-1.5 cups of stock and milk. Bring it to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until tender, maybe 15 minutes. Purée in a blender or food processor. I like to add a 1-4 cup sour cream and 1-2 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar. Or you can so sour cream and horseradish with a touch of mustard powder. S

the reluctant cook
the reluctant cook April 11, 2013

Add salt and white pepper to taste.