Can I substitute Steen's pure cane syrup for dark corn syrup in a chocolate bourbon tart recipe?

mickle
  • Posted by: mickle
  • April 11, 2013

ChefJune April 15, 2013
The "small answer" is yes. I use Steens in all recipes where corn syrup is called for because I can't have the corn syrup. how you doctor it up to make the flavor what you want is up to you with each recipe. But for most recipes, the one-to-one substitution works just fine.

AntoniaJames April 15, 2013
Go really easy on the molasses, please, because it tends to have a very strong taste. When not mixed with bold spices like cloves and ginger, molasses can overwhelm the other flavors. I learned that the hard way a few years ago, when making a pecan pie using golden syrup + molasses instead of dark corn syrup. Taste the batter after you've added a tiny bit, and only add more a drop or two at a time. ;o)

inspiredbyyou April 15, 2013
Excellent answer. now why didn't I think of that? brilliant!

Rose I. April 15, 2013
Yes, Add a small amount of molasses when measuring out the syrup.

LeBec F. April 12, 2013
yes to aj. the end result will be less depth to the flavor (like the diff between white sugar and dark brown sugar). I would add Medagliio d'Oro espresso powder to deeper the choc flavor, by dissolving it in the bourbon; also use a darker chocolate (65% and up) and some pinches of kosher salt- to help temper all the sweetness.

AntoniaJames April 11, 2013
You should be able to. They have about the same consistency and the syrup is not being use to make candy or marshmallows, where the chemical properties of the corn syrup makes a difference. Would be interested in seeing what others say, however. ;o)