🔕 🔔

I'm making a braciole on Sat. for 6 foodie friends but can't decide what I should make for an appetizer and 1st course. Can you help?

asked by cindylaning over 4 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I would do an antipasti, assorted cured italian meats,, roasted and pickled vegetables, cheese, and some good rustic Italian bread. I love a good antipasti and it goes well with any great Italian meal, I just love braciole!!

To accompany braciole, I'd like an antipasto of mostly vegetables. and for a first course, I'd sauce some linguine with the tomato sauce you cooked the braciole in. Broccoli rape for a veggie, because its sharpness contrasts so well with the sweetness in the sauce.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

How about an escarole salad with a garlic-anchovy dressing?

Appetizer: Truffle popcorn. (It makes people crazy.) I'd probably also do bagna caudal, but there's never anything left of the truffle popcorn.
First course: Risotto with carmelized fennel, orange zest and salt-cured olives.
The escarole salad would be great after the braciole.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

To best answer that question,I need to know what you are serving with the braciole. Were I doing it, I would serve the br. w/ a shiitake risotto and chard or kale sauteed with garlic and served with lemon.The latter as a clean acidic note contra the richness of the other 2 dishes. Before the beef brac. etc, I would serve a salad with some crunchy fresh textural notes: hazelnuts, pine nuts, or walnuts, sliced fennel and/or jerusalem artichokes(no cheese bec. you have that w/ the rich risotto to follow)and possibly a red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar based dressing ; keep it light and refreshing, not salty and rich(cheeses and salumi)because of what is to come. By appetizer, do you mean hors d'oeuvre to have with drinks? If so, i still say to stay away from charcuterie and cheeses
(the entree plate will be plenty salty; you don't want to be drinking water the rest of the night). Maybe some roasted vegetables and some eggplant caponata and/or white bean spread with good bread.