Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Make your own agua de pipa/coconut water?

So I've realized that I have an affinity for packaged coconut water and it helps me (very physically active) stay hydrated, but it's very expensive. This is compounded by the fact that I used to live in a tropical country where young coconuts were easy to come by, free or 25 cents, in season. I also don't like how many commercial brands of coconut water use environmentally-unfriendly packaging. I can give up drinking this stuff, i suppose, but I wonder if there's any way to make it myself, or if there's some sort of powdered product that I could add to regular water to create the same drink with less waste?

asked by Raquelita over 3 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Buy a young Thai coconut, open it and there is your coconut water, ready to drink. You also have the coconut meat to use. The shell can be composted although it it takes some time. Am not aware of a powdered product, and it seems it would be counter-productive as you would then have processed coconut water which would lose nutrients as well as take more energy to produce.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Take a cup (or two) of shredded coconut and simmer with a quart of water; reduce heat for about 30mins to steep it. Drain it through a mesh colander or cheese cloth and chill it. You could also add just a pinch of salt to the mix if it's a workout drink.

Since coconut water is indeed the liquid inside the coconut, SKK has the right idea. This in itself would be costly -- the price of the young coconuts -- but it would give you pure coconut water. What Sam1148 suggests is really coconut milk. Okay, I looked up the nutrition profiles of both: the coconut milk in the cans and the non-dairy sub coconut milk-like stuff have a tiny fraction of the sodium and potassium in coconut water, aaaannnnddd a ton of fat, although coconut oil is supposed to be good for you.

I used to buy the coconut water at Whole Foods in a regular milk carton. Have you tried that? I know there is powdered coconut milk but, again, not "water." Not terribly helpful but...Ah, here's something interesting, "...Coconut vinegar, made from fermented coconut water..." Sigh, no electrolytes.

importfoods.com imports the young Thai coconuts, but you'd spend a fortune geting it that way, plus what would you do with all that coconut???

Yes, it started out as a coconut milk recipe. But removing the blending step to extract the coconut fat and simply steeping it give it a more 'water like' character. YMMV with proportions. It's not oily when it's not pulverized and boiled/steeped. I understand the confusion as I found this out by skipping the blender step and ended up with 'water'--or rather coconut flavored 'tea/water'. Instead of milk fat stuff.

0236a64a 6089 48f7 8ce6 5b790ad33fd9  0605111238

Like I said, I used to live near coconuts. I understand how to get coconut milk (actually, we always just steeped the mature coconut meat for that) and coconut "water" (take a machete to a green coconut). Since it doesn't seem there's any better way than that, I think I will just treat coconut water as a special treat and stick to a dash of salt in my post-workout water.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Get some "lite" salt for your post-work out water. It's got a mix of sodium chloride and potassium chloride.

In addition to the salt there's a product I like for water.
"True Lime" and "True Lemon" it's crystallized juice. And comes in handy little sachets. http://www.truelemon.com...

At Costco, I just bought six quarts (or maybe liters) for $15 ($20 regular price-It came with instant rebate).

This is a really old thread I realize no one may see this or answer - I was looking for a diy coconut water today and found this thread, other than Sam1148 I found one other on a different site that called for this:
Ingredients

1 Can (400mL) Coconut milk
14 cups of bottles spring water
2T honey
(makes 16 - 1cup servings)
It would definitely offer the "watered down" consistency as opposed to the thicker coconut milk version - curious if anyone find fault in this recipe. Thank you for your time!

When you reply to an old thread, it pops up to the top again. I kind of like it when old threads reappear.

What you describe (and what Sam posted) is not coconut water, but diluted coconut milk. The coconut water is what is inside of a coconut, not what's in the flesh. Two different things. Your drink sounds delicious and contains some good healthy fat. It's just not coconut water. I may try it just as a new beverage.