🔕 🔔

Dairy-free pecan pie

Does anyone have any suggestions on modifying the filling for a pecan pie so it's dairy-free? I don't want to eliminate anything else, just the heavy cream. The recipes online use egg replacer and generally look gross, so I was unsure if I could just replace the cream with a little non-dairy milk.

asked by minibakersupreme over 4 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I just made this and it has no cream in it. (I actually haven't seen any pecan pie recipes with cream.). It is a gorgeous pie. My husband wanted chocolate, so I left out the orange and nutmeg, and added 1/4 cup cocoa powder. I also cut the syrup in half because I don't like super sweet desserts. Enjoy! http://food52.com/recipes...

8a2c197a eaf6 414d 8be8 e1212df9ad42  nasturtiums

Thanks! One of my favorite recipes has some espresso and heavy cream; it's a little untraditional and very decadent. I think I'm gonna go really Southern with this one and use some Steen's cane syrup as the sweetener.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Hi! I never use dairy in my pecan pies and I add oatmeal to cut the sweetness just a bit. A great combo. Here's the recipe if you want to take a look! :) http://em-i-lis.com/wordpress...

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

You might even try coconut milk or cream instead of the cream. An easy substitution since you know you love the pie recipe you already have.

I make a cashew cream substitute by soaking raw cashews overnight, drain, blend at high speed, adding a little water till your consistency is really silky...I use a Vitamix but I bet a Cuisinart or blender would do a fine job. The cream will be very neutral in taste and an excellent substitute.

820467dc d1b2 4071 ae7b d918a3648548  image

There is generally no dairy in pecan pie, unless you count the whipped cream on top , which of course, you can eliminate.
The filling is a combination of eggs , sugar, a syrup ( corn ,cane, or maple,) pecans,and
Some butter, though you could probably use dairy free margarine

B374f07a 68c6 4595 a705 99ed993c08fc  coconut panna cotta small for web

This is my recipe, I adapted it from the Cooks Illustrated recipe and it is always the most popular pie I make. http://www.couldntbeparve...

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

After moving to France, I had to find a pecan pie recipe that didn't include corn syrup, which is quite difficult to find in France. I found this recipe, and haven't looked back since! It does use some butter, so it's not strictly dairy-free, but if you're looking to make a pie without cream (and without corn syrup), this one is a keeper. I usually add 2 tablespoons Benedictine (or B&B, a nice sweet liquor) to the custard filling. Good luck, and happy baking :) http://www.chefeddy.com...

Thanks everyone! I know not all pecan pies have dairy in them, but my favorite recipe for mocha pecan pie has some heavy cream. I ended up making the pecan pie from the ATK Family Baking Book and subbed cane syrup for the recommended maple and margarine for the butter. I felt the margarine gave it an odd flavor, but my dairy-free friend couldn't tell the difference. Also, the texture was a little more gelatinous than desired. Overall, however, it was great!