🔕 🔔

baking in glassware: any difference in oiling and flouring?

I know that I should lower the temperature of the recipe by 25 degrees when baking in glassware. Is there any difference in oiling and flouring (to a tin pan)? Can I just brush the pan with melted butter, without flouring?

asked by mirileh over 4 years ago

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

I prepare both glass and tin baking dishes the same way - grease them with butter or oil and then flour them.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I agree with JanetFL and would add that you should use softened butter as opposed to melted butter for greasing

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Monita - why? I'm curious. I've used both and haven't noticed a difference, so am wondering what I'm missing... (unfortunately for me, that is something I frequently wonder!)

Monita, why softened butter instead of melted butter?

When you melt butter you are separating the butter and creating water. So when you brush the pan with the melted butter you aren't getting the benefit of the fat coating it. This can also impact the rest of your ingredients if you are coating the pan with just butter without the addition of flour

Oiling (or buttering) and flouring will make a difference in cakes like angel food. In this case, the flour gives the batter something to cling to as it rises. It does not matter whether it's a tin pan or glass.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I really like the Cook's Illustrated method of mixing softened butter with flour--sort of a paste--then smearing it on your pan. This works wonders for cakes that tend to stick (hello bundt pan nightmares), and it doesn't leave that film on your cakes that usually comes with buttering and flouring.