The music you cook to?

Pierino thinks "Road Runner" by Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers is maybe the best rock and roll song ever and the one we like ringing in our ears at the cook top. Close second, his "Ice Cream Man" (but that's for dessert). It's better than sex. So what are yours?

Brahms string sextet no. 1 in B flat major, Op. 18. I laugh, I cry, I slice & dice.

This jazzer likes to cook to Joe Williams (Every Day I Have the Blues, Who She Do, Going to Chicago, etc.), Dizzy Gillespie, Ray Brown, Count Basie, Diana Krall, Sarah Vaughan: you get the picture!

Elizabeth Rex

I bounce around. One day it'll be Wu-Tang Clan, Salt-N-Pepa, and Aretha Franklin. And then the next it's The Shins, Tori Amos, or loads and loads of K-pop/K-indie (Glen Check, f(x), Clazziquai, The Koxx).

PanJo

Hands down, Bobby McFerrin!
!

With apologies, I must add that I absolutely can not listen to "Don't Worry, Be Happy". It's that fingernails on the blackboard song for me.

Elizabeth Rex

His Psalm 23 is awesome.

Can't wait to be judged here.

I like to listen to NPR and some Coltrane.

Today's scones are Daft Punk flavoured.

Did your scones "Get Lucky"?

haha, yes they did, hla. I love that new song!

Today's Justin Timberlake Pandora station is playing a whole bunch of old 60s 70s funk/soul. I love it! right now, it's Al Green's Love and Happiness.

WileyP

I have a 5 CD changer in the kitchen. The current group on the machine are: Eliot Fisk (Vivaldi Concerti), José Feliciano (double album - 10 to 23/Fireworks), Anne Murry (I'll be seeing you), Quincy Jones (Walking in Space) and Willie Nelson (Stardust).

Great question, pierino!

bigpan

Depends what I am cooking. Italian = opera. Mexican = mariachi. French = palm court classical. Burgers = springstein, etc.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Enya.

krusher

Cripes Pierino if that is your music preference can't imagine what your sex experiences are like. I better stop there.

Krusher, let's not get into sex right now. Pierino loves all kinds of music, from opera (Puccini, Rossini), world (Manu Chao, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Los Lobos), grundge and punk. "Road Runner" works while he's cooking. I could also add the new Mavericks' album as well.
BUT we refuse to listen to Emminem. He's a hoodie dork.

krusher

You raised it not me. Oops raising is not a good word either. Really better stop right now now. By the way we still don't share the same taste even in classical music. Guess we're not meant to be together.

dymnyno

Depending on mood and weather; opera, classical, soft jazz and AAA, old rock, South American, Caribbean, reggae...

A big variety, mostly streamed from Pandora on my iPad. So, I have a follow-on question. What Pandora stations do you cook to?

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Unfortunately, for me to get dinner done efficiently with a four year-old around I have to listen to Elmo Radio on Pandora more often than I would like. *Sigh*

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Sade, Bowie, Simply Red, Gotham Project

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Sade, Bowie, Simply Red, Gotham Project

krusher

I consider that a wonderful answer. I'm with you there. As as a cellist and pianist for some years, I know exactly what you are talking about regarding music when you are cooking. Noise is not my bag and most music is noisy these days. My work is intensely face-to-face so retreating to my kitchen overlooking a green leafy
garden filled with birds does it for me. Sometimes the simple things in life bring the most magic to a soul. Cooking in silence is a form of meditation with fringe benefits.

I am finding this thread very interesting. I also tend to cook in silence because I am usually photographing and taking copious notes as I go. At work, something trashy is usually playing on the radio, and I've become fairly expert at tuning it out.

Or accumulated podcasts.

Bevi

I also tend to cook in silence. This time of year, listening to the birds and focusing on the scene out of my windows is great stimulus. Also, after years on and off in the restaurant business, I was used to listening to music and now find the silence refreshing.

savorthis

Jonathan Richman is playing a show here for a few nights in June at a tiny, grimy, old punk rock bar. We are so excited to go see him again! That said, I tend to think of the Modern Lovers more as driving music but don't know why... I usually play my starred Spotify playlist on random (a pretty big mix of indie, rocker, old school country) and these last couple weeks I have been completely obsessed with Phosphorescent.

Hilarybee

I'm putting in my two cents for a non-music choice! I love to listen to NPR and books on tape. I especially like Fresh Air with Terri Gross. I'm also trying to re-learn Spanish, so I've been talking a lot to myself (with assist from Rosetta Stone) and listening to Spanish language pop. If I need to really get a move on--as in, people arriving at my home for a dinner that is as of yet unprepared--I like fast paced, African drum music. I find I can really dance along without getting distracted.

Tokyo bakephile

Anita O'day.

Marielle Dupré

I love roots jazz/trad jazz -- old timey stuff from the early 20th century. Or CCR!

jamcook

The Supremes Greatest Hits

mensaque

I sing a lot when I'm cooking,usually brasilian music.When the stereo is on I listen to 60's rock like Beatles or Elvis,love tango(my grandfather was from Argentina)and classical music,especially Bach and Tchaikovsky(9 out of 10 dancers will tell you they love Bach and Tchaikovsky,and I'm no exception).Cool question...

mensaque, I would be most happy to chop while you sing Jobim. Brasilian Portuguese is soft and languid while the original is sort of hard and short---but I love both countries. Another "operatic" voice in Portuguese would be Teresa Salgueiro of Madredeus. Some of the happiest moments of my life were spent in Lisboa.

I love Brasilian music in the kitchen! Jobim, Gal Costa, Bebel Gilberto, Maria Monte...

mensaque

If you love Jobim,you should check out one of his partners,Chico Buarque.My favorite...

krusher

If I were ever to have Brazilian music playing it would be orchestral of some form and it undoubtedly would be Villa-Lobos - his concertos, symphonies and chamber music come to mind. I do not speak Portugese so the singing would be out.

mensaque

"Floresta Amazônica" and "O uirapuru"...ballet music from Villa-Lobos.Sooooooo beatiful!But you must give Portuguese a try cause it's such a "musical" language,you will catch yourself humming melodies all day!

I love the jazz answers. Who said Anita O'Day?! Scat! - the sound of things sizzling without a scale or measurement. But I also appreciate the answer someone gave of "silence," other than the sound food makes when cooking. Probably a rare experience for most people.

p.s. I wish Pierino would not refer to itself in the third person

Pierino usually prefers to refer to itself in the first person plural, as in the "imperial we".

krusher

I agree. Face covered in photos and the royal "we" when there is clearly an "I". Perhaps he is Italian minor royalty. The plot thickens.

"we" have ties to the papacy. Like getting a cardinal's red bonnet at the age of 12.

PazzoNico

Today, whipping up some pasta dough, I was listening to "Lux Aeterna" by Clint Mansell ("Requiem for a Dream" theme). Pretty intense stuff. Starting out slow and got pretty rough into the kneading process. Then finished real nice by tucking it into a towel and under a bowl.
Perfect song. Must be played full blast.

Pierino, kind of like Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth. "Must WE be badgered repeatedly by my Lords?!" Now you're making me wonder how that form of referral became practice. Damn - yet another thing we need to look up. ;-) Also, moments after seeing the different mentions of Brazilian music on this thread, heard Susannah McCorkle singing the "Waters of March." So beautiful - but hard to chop by.

I LOVE "Waters of March" (Jobim) which needs to be sung as a duet. One of my favorite versions is the one with David Byrne with his dry RSDI voice against the operatic voice of Brasilian chanteuse Marisa Monte.

mensaque

..."são as águas de março fechando o verão,é a promessa de vida do teu coração!" Pierino,we must cook together someday...I sing,you chop.Besides Jobim we have another thing in commom:Mensaque comes from Royalty too.A cousin once had the Saba family line traced and swears it went all the way back to the Queen of Sheba!

Wikipedia puts first western use of the "magestic plural" in 1169, Henry II, but they have a note "citation needed." They credit illeism, or speaking of oneself in the third person, to earlier times, including Julius Caesar. It "impart[s] an air of objective impartiality to the account." Seems like a trait that any poster on an anonymous board might like for himself (or itself).

Chris, thank you! The "majestic plural"! "Illeism"! My Scrabble game has just gone up a notch.

Bevi

My memories of self address in the third person are of "Jimmy" in the Seinfeld classic episode. Priceless. And those "jumping" sneakers. Class Act.

lapadia

LOL!

krusher

I find it irritating and pretentious. Sorry. Although you are right Bevi - that Seinfeld episode was hilarious.

lapadia

Link below: FYI and/or Entertainment..and then enough already!
http://en.wikipedia.org...

krusher

RIP!

lapadia

Thumbs up, krusher!

"Pop is stupid and contagious, here WE are now, entertain US...
hello, hello, hello..."

krusher

Happy birthday for 18 April. Hard to believe you are an Arian etc.

Baguette & Beurre

Books on Tape! Nothing more delicious than being read a good story while prepping.