🔕 🔔

Help! I just made my turkey gravy and for some unknown reason it tastes sweet. Any solutions? It needs toning down.

asked by shannon1116 over 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

What do you think is giving it a sweet taste?

It's strange -- I don't know. I didn't add any sugar or the like. I did chop up some of the onions and a couple of carrot slices from the basting pan as they tasted great. Maybe they were somewhat carmelized and that gives it the sweet taste. That's my only guess...

It might help if you made a roux--equal amounts of flour and either butter or oil, cooked over low heat till well browned, then stir in some chicken broth/stock and add that to your gravy. Also a little red wine perhaps? Does it need salt and pepper? I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I'm helping much, I just can't figure out why it would taste sweet.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

You could add a dash of vinegar -- the acidity should cut the sweetness. I'd use sherry vinegar if you have it.

714b34df 2d3a 43ee 9f6e 64da32383ccb  image

Did you use corn starch? Is there any chance you mistakenly used powdered sugar instead? I only ask because I've done it! Makes for weird results.

Whatever the cause, the prescription to counteract the sweetness would be to add some acidity. And you might also increase the salt content. Taste your sauce with each addition until you reach the balance you seek.