2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

How to make gravy in advance?

I'm having 17 people for Thanksgiving and don't dare to make gravy right before dinner (I'm spatchcocking the turkey). I've never made gravy before...

asked by Lilyfarmer about 4 years ago
39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

This gravy isn't completely made ahead, but the roux and the stock are, so it comes together in 5 minutes with whatever turkey drippings you have. http://www.bonappetit.com...

You could also make the tasty drippings ahead by roasting the reserved backbone from spatchcocking, and/or some spare turkey wings or other parts.

Soupcon's reply is what I've been working on for the last couple of hours! Makes turkey day so much easier. The only differences: I don't bother w/ the peppercorns-I add fresh pepper at the end, I use more celery, and some dry white wine.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.