My homegrown lettuce is doing beautifully! What is a good homemade vinagrette for the delicate lettuce?

asked by @ecsocha over 5 years ago

Bill F

Champagne vinaigrette would be nice. It very light and pleasant

lloreen

For my tender lettuce from the garden, I do the simplest of lemon vinaigrettes with some fresh herbs. Just 1 tbs of lemon juice, 2 tbs of good olive oil, 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme, (a dab of mustard if you like) and a pinch of sea salt.
Tender lettuce just out of the garden is such a treat; it needs only the lightest coating of dressing as anything else can overwhelm and wilt it. No money could buy such a delicacy in a store!

Evamarie Socha

This sounds awesome! Thank you, I can't wait to try this today. You're right, the lettuce is so tender I didn't want to drown it in any old dressing.

Hilarybee

I really like this genius recipe: a lemon vinaigrette that uses whole lemons. It sounds overwhelming, but it is so succulent and brings out the best in sweet lettuce.
http://food52.com/recipes...

Cristina Sciarra

I always use a simple vinaigrette I picked up from my French mother-in-law: add a pinch of sea salt and a crack of black pepper to a small bowl, along with a dollop of smooth Dijon mustard. Next, a splash of something acidic--I often use a mix of lemon juice and white wine or champagne vinegar, but I also like sherry vinegar. Finish with a pour of good olive oil, and whisk with a fork to emulsify. (The "correct" ratio is 1:3 (acid:oil), but I personally like half and half.) If you want to spice it up a little: fresh herbs (thyme, parsley, chives), minced shallots, lemon zest, a flurry of grated parmesan, or a drop of maple syrup. I make some form of this vinaigrette several times a week.

Evamarie Socha

Wow! Thank you all, these are great recipes & I'm going to try them all! Seriously, I can't decide among them. That lemon one sounds intriguing, I must say!

Hilarybee

Have fun, Evamarie! Growing season is just starting up so you've got a lot of time to play.

I put together this dressing for asparagus but it will work with lettuce http://food52.com/recipes... The tricky part is getting the purple mustard.