🔕 🔔

ramps -- I found them without the bulb

For the first time I have found ramps at a local farmers market. Driving away I realized that they sold only the leaf part, not the full length including the bulb. Is this common practice? Should I mate the leaves with some scallion bottoms? And, would this be done to promote regrowth in their habitat?

asked by susan g almost 4 years ago
120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Yes, Susan. Ramps are very, very slow-growing plants, and while they can grow from seed, they grow best via their tubers. I believe their germination period extends up to 18 months and is very dependent upon weather and elevation. You can simply cut the bulb at its base--right above the roots--and they can grow back this way, but it sounds like the person you bought them from was being extra conscientious--not a bad thing considering how popular ramps are and how prone they are to over-harvesting. You could use scallions along with the ramps although they do have a different flavor. Garlic chives most closely resemble ramps in flavor in my experience.