🔕 🔔

How to use fennel fronds?

I just bought some lovely fennel at the farmer's market. The bulbs are going into a Thanksgiving salad along with a tablespoon of the frond leaves for color, but I never know what to do the rest - the long green frond parts. My impression is that the fronds have a much stronger anise flavor than the bulbs. Any suggestions so that I don't end up tossing them as usual?

asked by lloreen almost 3 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I snip them with scissors for use as a garnish. If you don't think you'll use them all, I'm sure you could infuse some olive oil with them but I've never actually done that with fennel myself.

Aa6e8268 2564 4ed0 9d71 7684a15e1b04  untitled
Julie Myers

Julie is an Editorial Assistant at Food52.

I dry them and throw them into tomato sauce and bolognese, as well as salads and stews. They're really adaptable for someone who likes the anise flavor -- drying them will increase their shelf life so you can use them at will!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Taken in part from a food52 article: Fronds
Chop up the fronds and use them like you would other fresh herbs. They're lovely in a pesto, an egg or potato salad, or as a garnish, like on this soup.

I like to make a fennel and charred blood orange salad (blow torch baby) and the sprinkle the fronds over. Good with grapefruit too.

7be9269b 4bd3 4776 a58a 1796fcfd4f04  2016 03 22 12 44 46

Fennel fronds are wildly used in (south) Italian cooking, or to be exact: finocchietto, a wild variety consisting of mostly fronds – since it’s hard to find those outside Italy, finding an extra frond-y fennel always feels like a jackpot to me :)
Anyways: searching for finocchietto will give you an idea for its different uses and recipes.
A sicilian classic, and my favourite, is pasta con le sarde, for which there are various recipes on this site (using canned or fresh sardines, with or without tomato, pine nuts and raisins or not, …) For me the only non-negotionable component is the crunchy seasoned breadcrumb topping.

in addition to pasta con le sarde, fennel - in all forms - is great with fish. try fronds as garnish for tuna or whitefish salad, garnish for baked fish, or layered with fennel bulb and fennel seed in a baked fish.