Lemon Vinegar - I recently bought a bottle of Vinagire de Citron by Huilerie Beaujolaise, truly the most amazing bottle of vinegar I had ever bought,

Truly the most amazing bottle of vinegar I every bought but at a big price of $49 a bottle! I want to make this and have been searching the web for inspiration on how to get started with such fabulous fruit vinegars. Anyone out there have any tips?

Greenstuff May 12, 2013

Wish I knew, as your question has just put me out $49. My guess is that it is made from a white or wine vinegar that's been infused with citrus peel. Easy enough to do and worth some experimentation. Hope you get some better responses.

thespicegirl
thespicegirl May 12, 2013

Thanks Chris. I have seen a few recipes which talk of this method but the particular vinegar I am referring to is a really rich murky like colour. The vinegar itself is in pasteurized and super sweet. It reminds me of limoncello but more refined smooth and of course with that vinegar aftertaste. I'm thinking they are using the actual juice to make it. I'm going to try the lemon peel method but am certain it will not be if the same stature. Buy a bottle and let me know what you think. It turns anything you make from good to amazing!

thespicegirl
thespicegirl May 12, 2013

Sorry error. The vinegar is not pasturized.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick May 14, 2013

Apparently it is made of lemon and calamansi juices. And yes, I am intrigued by what you wrote so now I, too, an out $49!

cookbookchick
cookbookchick May 14, 2013

*am

Greenstuff May 15, 2013

Mine arrived, and you are right--it is absolutely delicious. While I've waited for it to arrive, I've cast about for lemon vinegar recipes, and I haven't seen much that would make me confident about plunging in with it. Some websites specifically mention citrus vinegars as being tricky.

There's a nice website on fermentation in general that doesn't seem to have anything on citrus vinegars, but it's written by a FOOD52er, and maybe she'd have some insights. The blog is called Phickle, http://phickle.com/?page_id=180. (Sorry, I can't remember her FOOD52 name.)

accidentalchef
accidentalchef August 12, 2013

Hey Guys,

I know a site where the vinegars are way way cheaper. Also here is an article on the lemon vinegar and several other vinegars as well. The raspberry vinegar is my personal favorite.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323829104578621873712315346.html

accidentalchef
accidentalchef August 12, 2013

Hey Guys,

Nan
Nan August 12, 2013

Does the company where you purchased it from have any idea's or recipes, usually they do supply something.
Just a thought

accidentalchef
accidentalchef August 13, 2013

They totally do. The site is absolutely fantastic and it has some of the best products out there!

dymnyno
dymnyno August 14, 2013

This sounds so delicious that I just ordered a bottle!!!