straining raspberry seeds

i love to make raspberry jam and blackberry jam, and prefer (at least relatively) seedless jam. i use a fine-meshed strainer to eliminate seeds. does anyone know of a better method? i've read that the kitchen aid strainer attachment doesn't work for raspberry or blackberry jam. does anyone have any experience with that attachment? thanks.

asked by louisez about 5 years ago

You can use a cheesecloth inside the strainer for a purer outcome

Hilarybee

If I want a really seedless jam, I use a food mill with a hand crank.

ATL
ATL

Something that's been successful for me, in addition to those two methods, is to buzz the raspberries in the food processor and then put them through a fine sieve. Easier to push the more liquid raspberries through the sieve.

louisez

Thank you all for your advice. I've tried all of the above (food processor and straining, with cheesecloth lining strainer, after fruit has been heated) -- except for a food mill. It can be a laborious process using a strainer, especially given the amount of fruit involved -- and not as effective as I'd like (it's not just seeds left in jam, but some loss of pulp and fruit that I'd like to minimize). I think I may look into a food mill -- especially if I can find one with a fine screen. Any recommendations? Thanks again.

Food mill is definitely the tool for the job- I'm not too up to date, but it used to be Foley all the way. The one I inherited from my mother has three screens, and is miles better than a couple of expensive models I bought. I hope Foley is still making it- the world needs more good food mills

ATL
ATL

Since you have already tried all of the suggestions offered, how about letting us know if you've already tried a food mill and what you thought of the one you've tried (if you have).

louisez

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear -- I've tried all the suggestions thus far except for a food mill -- and am hoping for a food mill recommendation -- or a recommendation for some other equipment/method -- myself. Thanks again.

when I worked in a pastry kitchen, we used a chinois to make raspberry coulis & got relatively easy, consistent. if you have enough use for it, consider a home version.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
http://www.creativecookware...

ATL
ATL

I hope you take this comment in the constructive way intended. It would have been helpful if you had listed everything you had already tried--not just one method--so that we didn't offer methods you have already tried and discarded. I do hope you find a method that does work for you. I've tried all of the suggestions and they have all been effective. Good luck!

louisez

ATL -- sorry, again, for my lack of clarity. I didn't mean to give offense. Should I ask a question on the hot line again, I will be more careful to be more thorough. These are not methods I've discarded -- I just didn't know if there were methods I didn't know about -- or equipment. I don't have a food mill, and don't know much about them. I appreciate your advice, and your good wishes. Thanks again.

I've used all those methods--both round and conical sieves, the cheesecloth, a couple of food mills. I think they're all messy and waste some fruit. I just remind myself to treat that seedless raspberry jam like the treasure it is and only give any away to the most appreciative friends. Good luck, and let us know if you have a breakthrough.

Hilarybee

Chris, I usually don't do too much deseeding, either. Usually with raspberry and blackberry, I'll partially deseed the batch to prevent the jam from being all seeds, no flavor. Usually, I just use a sieve. I've had a few batches were I wanted a clearer product for gifts- more for look than taste.

louisez

Chris -- the "they're all messy and waste some fruit" thing is what I was hoping there was some method/equipment would help me avoid. I'll try to keep in mind what you said -- though I'm not sure my husband would be happy for me to give the jam away to friends, no matter how appreciative (though he will share with our daughter). In the event that I have a breakthrough -- unlikely as that may be, alas -- I will let you know. Thanks!

louisez

Hilarybee -- I take your point. However, the seeds are a problem for my husband, which is why deseeding is so important to me. Thanks again for your help.

rt21

I too have tried all the answers provided and a thought just occurred to me. ! Would a vitamix blender work? It blends everything so smooth it just might be the answer .

Melissa Dawn

I just used my Kitchenaid with the screen I normally use to process tomatoes. Worked like a DREAM.

Cathy Savage Pratas

not an answer, tho, Melissa...does the mixer break the seeds down? and if so, does it change the taste of the Jam at all?

Cathy Savage Pratas

HI..I'm wondering if using the blender to mash the seeds makes the jam taste different?

I have not found this succeed in breaking them down...those seeds are tough.

Cathy Savage Pratas

Thanks Nancy! :)

Karl Petrie

I use a juicer that I picked up at a second hand store for about 12 bucks. works great. I cook the berries first and then run them thru twice. I might have to add a little water to thin the pulp but it does a good job. Think its a juice man juicer. It takes the seeds out whole, not much waste at all.