Are there any really good recipes (ex. cookies, spreads..) that use red raspberry preserves with seeds

They are just sitting in my fridge and I don't want them to go to waste willing to try new things!!

JanetFL
JanetFL August 5, 2013

How about mixing 1 cup of your preserves with 1-1/2 cups butter to make a spread?

Catherine
Catherine August 5, 2013

Thanks that sounds awesome!

Molly Bakelette
Molly Bakelette August 5, 2013

Here is a crumb cake recipe that uses raspberry preserves! I highly recommend it!

ukimmeru
ukimmeru August 6, 2013

I've made little mini jam tarts with store bought pie crust shells baked in muffin tins. A fresh mint leaf as garnish looks pretty and cuts the sweetness.

ATG117
ATG117 August 6, 2013

linzer tarts (dipped in chocolate), thumbprint cookies, jam tart, in between layers of cake

Voted the Best Reply!

RespectThePastry
RespectThePastry August 6, 2013

Yes, Yes, Yes! My family (for about 50 years) has been making Raspberry Squares for almost every occasion (fancy and otherwise as this is a quick and easy recipe). All you need is a nice shortbread recipe and mix in some toasted nuts (we prefer pecans) and layer 3/4 of it in a square baking dish. Spread the preserves almost to the edge (leave a little less than 1/2 an inch) than crumble the leftover over cookie dough on top and bake until golden brown! You will not be sorry :D

Catherine
Catherine August 6, 2013

thank you THANKYA thank you this sounds great and easy!!

Maedl August 6, 2013

You can use it as a filling in a jelly roll or between layers in a chocolate layer cake.

Stephanie
Stephanie August 15, 2013

Add a teaspoon or so when making a vinaigrette. No need to use plain sugar and this gives the added bonus of a delightful fruity flavor. (I'm thinking apple cider vinegar, a light oil, raspberry preserves, shallots, and a pinch of ground chipotle...)

ChefJune August 16, 2013

Any recipe that calls for raspberry preserves can be used with seeded preserves. However, the main reason for using seedless, or sieving the seeds is that those seeds are annoying in the mouth and for foks with dentures, downright painful when they get underneath. It's quite easy to sieve the seeds out of your seeded preserves. Just takes a few minutes.

SeaJambon
SeaJambon August 17, 2013

Agree with June that the seeds are annoying and it only takes a moment to push them through a sieve (back of ladle is a great pushing tool). Once you've done that - you can add them to buttercream frosting to have it raspberry flavor (one of my favorite cheats is jam or jelly as a natural frosting flavor/color. Due to the firmness of the jam/jelly, no need to otherwise adjust the buttercream recipe). Or use as a base for a jam cocktail (omit the spirits for a lovely mocktail). Food & Wine had a nice article on this last summer. 1 oz spirits of choice (vodka, tequila, gin, rum, whatever); 1 oz citrus juice (lemon, lime, whatever); 1 oz simple syrup; 1 Tablespoon jam. Shake in cocktail shaker with crushed ice. Pour over ice. Optional: add club soda and/or fresh herbs for garnish.

Or make ice cream and use the jam to flavor (raspberry ice cream anyone?) -- either fully flavor by adding at the beginning, or swirl through at end while ice cream is still soft before it goes into freezer to harden. Or add to muffins (use a blueberry muffin recipe and replace the blueberries with jam). Or use as a filling for cupcakes. I haven't tried using it as a sorbet base, but that is on my to-do list. Need more ideas? ;) I LOVE using jams and jellies in unexpected ways!! Oh - and you can always put it in a red wine/balsamic reduction (perhaps with rosemary as well -- I've done this with blackberry jam to great results!) and use it as a savory sauce with fish, pork or chicken.

Patricia A Brannon
Patricia A Brannon October 14, 2014

I love to add jam, any fruity or herbal flavor, to vinaigrettes for salads that combine greens, cheeses, and nuts.