2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

Brown butter

I want to make enough brown butter for approximately 2 qts. Can I do this all in one batch, or do I have to do it in small batches? Will browned butter solidify overnight in the refrigerator? Can this be done?

asked by James Durazzo over 3 years ago

Yes to both questions.
When you're doing it in a large batch, use a whisk to keep it moving and to ensure even browning. And be sure that the heat isn't too high (as you probably already know).
And yes, it solidifies like regular butter and can be melted down again in a pan. I've done it many times at home and restaurants. And a little trick to make stop it from browning further (once it's reached the desire state) is to add a little lemon juice off the heat. It cools it down and slows the browning. Otherwise, just dump it in a bowl immediately when it's down to stop the cooking.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

In addition to what was said above, I would use a large pan with a lot of surface area. The milk solids will brown more evenly, and it'll be easier to see what's going on in the pan.

30d29d6e ad6b 43d4 877f 543611313cd6  img 7763

Thank you, both answers are very helpful.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.