🔕 🔔

Swiss meringue buttercream using browned butter

I making cupcakes for a wedding this weekend and want to use browned butter frosting for its flavor, but also want to use Swiss meringue buttercream since it holds its shape so well. I've made both kinds (separately) before, but I've never combined the two: using browned butter in place of regular butter in the buttercream. Has anyone done this with success? My plan would be to bring the browned butter back to cool/more solid, then add it to the frosting as if it were regular butter. Thanks for any advice and wisdom you can offer...

asked by butter, sugar, flowers over 4 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I have never used brown butter in a swiss meringue but I don't see why not, when making this buttercream or at least the recipe i use the butter is solid but soft, room temperature so I would refrigerate so that it's a solid then let it come to room temperature. I think that some of the water probably cooked off in the browning but that shouldn't matter at all when making a buttercream. I think your instincts are exactly right.

A small batch predicated on 4 ounces of egg whites, 8 ounces of sugar and 8 ounces of brown butter should give you an idea of whether it will work or not.

Sorry.....and 2 ounces of shortening

3daaaaf4 fcd4 4222 bc0f c2f7d2396038  green cupcake

Great idea -- and thanks so much for doing the calculation for me!

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

If the brown butter experiment fails, what about brown sugar swiss meringue? I've made it many times before. It's not the exact same flavor profile, but close.

That's a great idea! Thanks so much.

I would keep, maybe, 80% of the butter and add 20% solidified browned butter. That way you would get the flavor of the browned butter without having to alter the recipe.

Wonderful idea -- thanks!

butter, sugar, flowers--what did you end up doing? I'm super curious!

Sorry for my VERY slow response! I did not end up using this frosting for the wedding (I decided on more tried-and-true methods that work well in large batches). But, I am happy to say that the browned butter Swiss buttercream worked very well in a small batch, in which I measured the normal amount of butter for a Swiss meringue buttercream recipe BEFORE browning and straining the butter. I recommend it for smaller cakes/cupcake batches.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

buttersugar,such a cool idea but i was wondering- the buttercream didn't come out grainy? isn't brown butter grainy?

Great question! I strained the hot browned butter through a sieve and left the bigger dark solids behind in the pan. Then I let the strained brown butter cool to soft/room temp. The frosting wasn't grainy.

@le bec fin, when I make brown butter, I usually strain out the milk solids so it's more like a ghee, smooth and clear and a lovely aroma. probably not a texture issue. will have to try this sometime!