Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

All-Clad d5 line

I just purchased a 12" stainless All-Clad d5 skillet (which I am very happy about). The saleslady at William Sonoma told me that med-high and high heat were unnecessary with the d5 technology; she said med-low to low was all that was needed for proper searing. I am skeptical about this, but I thought I'd check it out here and see if anyone has an opinion one way or the other. Thoughts?

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oops, I meant med-low to medium, not med-low to low.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I'd classify that statement as a gross oversimplification as one cooktop's "high" is another's "medium". But, relatively speaking, you won't need as much heat to get the same job done with your new pan as compared with whatever you're used to (unless you've been using tri-ply or similar).

That is absolutely true. The d5 also cooks a lot more evenly. Apart from sautéing, I find that the line really shines in making glossy silky sauces better than any other cookware in my experience. The other thing I love about it is the ease of cleaning. Just soak any burnt gunk for a bit and it slides off like butter. Congratulations on your new acquisition!! Just remember not to cook on high.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

OK, I'm convinced! Thanks for the input. Incidentally, what happens if you cook on high with these pans?

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I mean, does it damage the pans or does it just burn the food?

If you treat high-quality stainless like cast iron, you'll likely damage both the pan and your food. That does not mean either can't take high amounts of heat, more that the timing changes -- increased efficiency transferring heat plus much quicker to heat up. For boiling water, you can still crank up the burner as the heat will have a place to go (and can't get hotter than 212F). Preheat for as long as you normally would and / or over too high a flame and you could overheat pan / oil / food. Just take it easy until you get used to it.