I'm making a compound butter using Espelette pepper

Is it better to incorporate it into the butter mixture, or use a scant amount at the end on the final dish. Not sure how hot it is, but I have read that it only measures 4000 on the Scoville scale. Do you think the heat is overwhelming or slightly mild?

HalfPint June 7, 2013

I would say that it's mild when compared to cayenne which ranges from 30,000 to 50,000. Serranos has a Scoville range of 8,0000 to 23,000. Given these comparisons, the espelette is mild.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee June 7, 2013

If it were me, I would personally season the final dish with a scant amount. If it isn't enough, add more. Once you put the pepper into the compound butter, you are stuck with the amount. That leaves you the choice to use less butter. And I'm always in favor of butter ;)

pierino June 7, 2013

It is very mild, but with a very pleasing pepper taste. I always have some in my pantry. Great with eggs as well as butter, and many other things too.

James Durazzo
James Durazzo June 7, 2013

Thanks, I think I will use at the end to finish the dish.