🔕 🔔

Bacon Bits

I just made these awesome bacon bits. They came perfect, but I am not sure if I should store them overnight in the refrigerator, or leave them out in a quart container over night. Any thoughts?

asked by James Durazzo over 4 years ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I'd store in the refrigerator just to be safe. They sound great. Enjoy!

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

When I get done frying up some bacon bits (I dice 5 or 6 slices of frozen bacon and then fry them), I set them in a little bowl with a paper towel folded in the bottom. I leave them next to the stove to nibble on or toss into something I'm cooking. I don't have any problem leaving them there for a week, though they generally don't last that long!

71929195 94d8 43e2 844d 63520a942ddd  dscn0624

Definitely store in the refrigerator. Bacon can become rancid very quickly, especially when left in a warm kitchen during the summer. I won't even go into insects that would also find bacon bits delicious and oh dear, rats!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would put in a zip lock bag in the fridge. You can even freeze if you want.

Add in vodka for Bloody Mary

In the winter you could probably keep them on your counter, but in the summer I'd be worried they'd attract insects and worse.