Macerating strawberries

So I'm canning strawberry jam for the first time, and my day has suddenly gotten far more complicated than I foresaw. How long can I leave my strawberries macerating in the fridge before they turn into textureless mush?

asked by iamadesertcreature about 5 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

You should still have delicious jam if you can it tomorrow and the texture should still be great!

iamadesertcreature

Excellent! I just hope my first batch turns out decent. :-)

themissingingredient

I usually macerate fruit for jam overnight and can it the next day. I like that you can get a good take on how much sugar you need. So macerate it in some sugar and then add more if needed the next day.

Hilarybee

I like to let mine sit for a solid 12 hours before canning them. The longer the strawberries macerate, the more juice you will have.
Please DO NOT adjust the amount of sugar based on how long you macerate! I do not want to be a forum bully, but what themissingingredient advocates is dangerous for a novice canner. The weight of the strawberries will be unchanged, regardless of how long they macerate. Therefore the amount of sugar should not change, unless you are canning with calcium activated pectin and adjusting your acid accordingly. Since this is iamadesertcreature's first time canning, they should follow their recipe exactly, and take precaution to sterilize and process the jam per instructions. Improperly canned jam IS dangerous--pockets of botulinim can form when proper sugar and acid levels are not maintained. Most likely, the jam could go moldy. But Clostridium Botulinim can kill, so let's have a touch more care when giving advice about canning.

Hilarybee

iamadesertcreature, you may need to cook your jam longer, since there will be more juice and it will take a longer time to reduce down. Have fun!