I'm taking questions for the next hour at the food52hotline! Got a summer desert question for me? http://t.co/Cj0Z1UfGDY @food52

asked by @faithdurand about 5 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Hi Faith! Are there any no-bake desserts that you just can't stand? What didn't make the cut for the book?

Kenzi Wilbur

What are some of the best bakeless desserts that can be made ahead? I love fools, but they totally die on me in the fridge.

Noah Truwit

Any good crisp recipes?

Faith Durand

Sarah, ha! What a good question. Off the top of my head I can't think of any no-bake desserts I just can't stand; I have such a sweet tooth. I really wanted to do steamed English puddings for the book, but I ended up taking them out for space reasons. But I have a killer plum pudding recipe from an English friend; it's been handed down through the years in his family, and maybe it belongs in a future book!

Faith Durand

Kenzi my favorite make-ahead dessert (especially for a crowd) is an icebox cake - a layered dessert of graham crackers and pudding or whipped cream. The graham crackers get all tender; it's like a chilled layer cake. (My S'mores Pudding Cake is coming up this week on Food52...) Also, classic pudding and panna cotta both hold well in the fridge. I like to make vanilla pudding or a sour cream panna cotta and serve them for dessert with fresh fruit. Taking something out of the fridge is such an easy way to end a meal!

Do you have any diabetic friendly (sugar free) dessert winners?

Faith Durand

Noah, my favorite crisp/crumble of all time is this plum crumble that Molly posted a few years ago. The topping is more of a cookie crumble than a crisp, but it is seriously to die for. One of the top desserts, ever, in my kitchen: http://orangette.blogspot...

For an oatier sort of crisp, this rhubarb lavender crisp, one of my own recipes, is probably my favorite: http://www.thekitchn.com...

Faith Durand

sexyLAMBCHOPx I'm not a nutritionist and I don't have a lot of expertise in cooking for diabetics, so I was careful not to give strong advice about this in the book. However, I will say that panna cotta and jellies can be adapted easily to sugar-free versions. For a diabetic friend recently I made jelly cups with sugar-free root beer and topped them with unsweetened whipped cream. Along those lines, in Bakeless Sweets I have a recipe for Root Beer and Cream Soda Terrine, which has layers of root beer jelly and creamy milk jelly. Again, could easily substitute Splenda and use diet root beer.