🔕 🔔

tomato dice for pico de gallo

Help!! I don't particularly enjoy raw tomato on salads or sandwiches, but I do love a good salsa. I'm not used to dicing these bad boys to use in my mom's pico recipe... Any advice? Do I just quarter them and throw away the guts?

asked by batbean over 4 years ago

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

You can seed the tomatoes for a less watery salsa. I use the seeds and pulp, but that's a personal preference. I would just cut the tomato into slices, then batons, then dice as finely as you want. All depends on how chunky you like your salsa.

You should use roma tomatoes. They have less liquid and pulp.
I cut them in half, spoon out the guts, then slice the long way then dice. That's how they taught me in Isla Mujeres.
Cheers
irina

I use roma tomatoes also - slicing off the top, then poke three fingers in where the seeds are (like you're sticking your hand in a bowling ball) over the sink to push out the seeds and juice, then slice off outer part in 3 pieces (like cutting the top off a T where the membrane meets the outer part) which leaves you flat pieces to slice one way, turn and slice the other - giving you a perfect dice. I use the inner parts in soup - just put in a plastic bag and throw in the freezer for when you make soup or sauce next. This method will give you a perfect dice and less wet pico. In addition to cilantro, white onion and lime juice, I like to kick it up with a small dice of half a jalapeno. Enjoy!