How long does/do(?) lox last in the fridge?

Roommate and I opened a package of lox last Monday and have kept it in the fridge in a ziplocked bag ever since. Still good to eat or should we scrap it?

asked by danman over 5 years ago

We freeze lox and it seems to last forever. Maybe slight decrease in quality--make sure it's well wrapped.

healthierkitchen

I do this too, but I've learned to check whether it's been frozen before. Those of us outside NY often get packaged that has already been frozen either before getting to or at the store.

I agree with the smell test (also, if it develops a filmy coating -just, ew.) But I have to say I'm not too familiar with the concept of smoked salmon leftover for more than a day or so...it's one of those things for me where resistance is futile.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I can't speak for your lox in particular, but I have eaten week-old lox and it's been fine! I always do the smell test beforehand, though.