🔕 🔔

Toaster oven for making toast?

Is there a toaster oven out there that makes really good toast? My husband thinks toast must be made in a toaster and I am inclined to agree with him, but I wonder if there exists such a wonderful toaster oven that can be used for making toast, thus eliminating the toaster altogether. Please post if you know of this magical device!

asked by Sadassa_Ulna about 3 years ago
68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013

I became so exasperated with faulty kitchen appliances that I gave up my toaster and toaster oven altogether. I've been making toast using the broiler in my oven for years and it works like a charm.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

The toaster oven will have a larger counter top foot print.
Like your normal oven, you still have to watch it and flip it...which can be a pain in the...ahh...morning.

I've also found that quite a few toasters 'go bad' after a few years and start burning toast with faulty thermostats.

Toaster ovens are notorious for not doing a very good job at making toast. My cuisinart browns unevenly, flipping helps. I recall doing a search for a moderate priced one for my mother on Consumer Reports online subscription and tons were listed but the highest rating for the toasting feature was just so-so. So I don't have a specific rec for you but if you give me your price range I can take a look for you at the best recs they give. Maybe I will hop over now out of curiosity.

Toaster ovens are dorm type apts, places without a full oven, and people with a temporary kitchen.

I really can't see why to have one unless heat is an issue in your apt and you want to fire up a toaster oven instead of the big one.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

There are certainly good reasons beyond dorms, or lack of real ovens. I only have a toaster (I like the ritual of the toast popping up,) but have considered replacing it with a toaster oven because I only have one 'real' oven - when doing a big meal (e.g., at a holiday) it would be very helpful to have a second, even small one. No space in my kitchen for an add'l wall oven or range with two ovens, nor funds for either. Also, with limited counter space, 1 combined appliance simply saves precious real estate. (This is typically not as big an issue in a larger suburban kitchen.) I'm not in the market for a toaster oven, but every holiday when I find myself strategizing how to juggle things in/out of my oven, I wonder why I don't just get one!

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Currently we have both a toaster and a toaster oven, and they are on their last legs. I'd rather get one appliance than two if possible, but I don't know if there is a toaster oven that makes good toast. I suspect the beauty of a toaster is the hot wires very close on both sides of the bread.
I really like having a toaster oven but it's not as essential as good toast.

I agree with the recommendation for the larger Breville. It does have a decent footprint but that also reduces the need to turn on the bigger oven and it often outdoes the regular oven in baking too. Definitely worth the money.

I plan to get a Breville to replace my current toaster oven. I find they last 10 years or more. That's all I've used to make toast for the last 3 decades at least. I also use it for baking & general oven cooking to save electricity when I'm not cooking a lot & in warm weather to keep the kitchen cooler. In really hot weather I plug it in outside. I wouldn't get a toaster because it only does toast.

Toaster ovens are a racket. Nothing you couldn't do with the broiler in your oven, a sheet pan you probably already own, or wire "cooling" rack- all used for many other purposes. Pull-eeze with the $300 toaster ovens.

I love my Breville. I've even baked bread in it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snarky. It's probably just jealousy. But it does seem like a lot of money to replace a toaster and what you can already do with your oven.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

After a few dozen years of different models, I think toaster ovens are an oxymoron. They don't toast properly and the oven function is more a burn oven than bake oven.
I prefer an old style pop up toaster for bread and my big oven for oven functions (realizing the cost factor which I can live with for a ten minute job).

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I love my new Breville. Haven't used all the functions yet, but it definitely makes great toast, also has a keep warm function, a convection feature, an automatic adjustment for frozen foods, a keep warm function, ability to bake, roast, etc., and a conversion from Fahrenheit to Centigrade. Having heated up my big oven for the past 9 years to make toast, this is a definite improvement.

The American Test Kitchen did an incredibly comprehensive toaster oven comparison a few years back. They rated models on evenness of toasting, speed of toasting etc. I have not been able to find it online- but refuse to make the commitment until I do. I grew up in a toaster oven- using home and want one in my own kitchen. My mother still uses the same Black & Decker (no longer in production) from my childhood. It's mounted under her top cabinets, wasting no counter space- dream!!!

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Here's the review, and it was the Breville that won out: http://www.cooksillustrated...

These toaster oven reviews by Good Housekeeping are over a year old but that's not uncommon with product reviews. Breville seems to be the consistent winner.
http://www.goodhousekeeping...

I would agree with some of the comments that Breville SmartOven is probably one of the best-rate toaster oven that is available out there. It has in fact received many positive reviews and this is just one of them (http://ovenreviewshq.com...).

However, does this make Breville SmartOven that magical device that we have all been longing for? I believe the answer is a No.

I mean, a full toaster oven like the Breville can certainly toast that morning sandwiches that we love to have in the morning. And with the convection feature, it can definitely do a more uniform toast compared to non-convection toaster oven.

But the problem is, will it be an overkill if you have to turn on your oven every morning just for preparing a sandwich? First, it takes time to heat up and second, it consumes much more power compared to a simple toaster. And unless you know the perfect setting, you might even end up with over-burnt sandwiches.

So IMHO, is there a magical device that can eliminate toaster altogether? Personally, I believe such device does not exist.

Actually, no, you don't have to know the perfect setting. The Breville doesn't take long to heat up, it has a memory function, and you adjust for the number of slices and there is a "bagel" function too. It's extremely flexible and very user-friendly. It's great for me in the summer because my range overheats the kitchen. The Breville tells you via a digital screen how many minutes and seconds it has left to complete the function. I have one and I use it very frequently for many different functions, including baking the worlds' best brownies, defrosting, re-heating, keeping warm, etc. I can turn the convection feature on or off. But if you only want toast, then a toaster is probably your best bet. But, I imagine Sadassa made her decision by now...

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

The Breville sounds like a lovely device but truth be told, I have a bottom-of-the-line Black and Decker that's now 15 years old and must have cost about $22 when new. Idon't make toast every day but I've certainly used it hundreds and hundreds of times (a thousand times now?) and it works just fine.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Black & Decker used to make good appliances (ones that would actually last 15 years and do a good job), but they don't any longer, unfortunately.