🔕 🔔

Alternative to Cheese in Risotto

I find that I don't like incorporating cheese into my risottos. In my opinion it takes away from both the rice and the vegetables. However, without it the texture and consistency are not quite right. Anyone know a good alternative? Preferably something that would already be in my pantry, or something I can freeze in small quantities and then use when needed.

asked by NealB over 4 years ago

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Without a good cheese, it is not risotto !

Consider looking up rice casseroles without cheese- maybe something with tofu.

I think you should be able to just leave it out. you can perhaps add slightly less liquid to compensate.

I'm with ChefJune. You really don't need the cheese in a risotto since the rice and the broth is what's responsible for the texture and consistency. I would also suggest adding either more butter or heavy cream if you really want the more velvety consistency.

To be honest,for me adding cheese to the risotto is like adding cola in the whiskey . Keep food simple and traditional to enjoy all the ingredients on your dish :)