Alternative to Cheese in Risotto

I find that I don't like incorporating cheese into my risottos. In my opinion it takes away from both the rice and the vegetables. However, without it the texture and consistency are not quite right. Anyone know a good alternative? Preferably something that would already be in my pantry, or something I can freeze in small quantities and then use when needed.

• Posted by: NealB
  • June 20, 2013

bigpan
bigpan June 20, 2013

Without a good cheese, it is not risotto !

Consider looking up rice casseroles without cheese- maybe something with tofu.

ATG117
ATG117 June 20, 2013

I think you should be able to just leave it out. you can perhaps add slightly less liquid to compensate.

Voted the Best Reply!

ChefJune June 21, 2013

Cheese is not essential to risotto. In fact, in Italy it is never included in one with seafood. There is no reason you can't just omit it. Do you like the knob of butter added at the end? You don't need that, either...

pierino June 21, 2013

I completely agree with ChefJune on this and I was about to make the same remark. I can't think of a single authentic Veneto risotto that combines seafood and cheese. It's just not done. If you are making a risotto with say, porcini and truffle, well then you might want some cheese. But it's way more important that it is "wet" and properly cooked and plated.

HalfPint June 21, 2013

I'm with ChefJune. You really don't need the cheese in a risotto since the rice and the broth is what's responsible for the texture and consistency. I would also suggest adding either more butter or heavy cream if you really want the more velvety consistency.

katiaD
katiaD June 21, 2013

To be honest,for me adding cheese to the risotto is like adding cola in the whiskey . Keep food simple and traditional to enjoy all the ingredients on your dish :)