What is the best white wine to use in a simple risotto? I used a CA Sauvignon Blanc that was fine to drink, but not so great in the risotto.

It actually seemed like the recipe called for too much wine (1 cup / 1.75 cups of rice + what turned out to be the correct amount of stock). I followed a Deborah Madison recipe that uses vegetable stock. (I even used her recipe for stock.) Your thoughts? Thank you, everyone. ;o)

CookOnTheFly

I use cheap, "house wine" for my risotto and paella. Carlo Rossi Rhine Wine - about $16 for 4 liters - reminds me of the "house wine" that has been plopped on the table at many a Greek taverna or Spanish tapas place for decades. Save the Sauvignon Blanc for drinking!

bugbitten

I got in trouble once using a Sancerre in a seafood bisque. Some sauvignon blancs can be borderline sour. You might try a pinot gris or pinot grigio.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Maybe too much wine...I looked at a number of her recipes and they all added 1/2 cup wine which I see in most recipes for risotto.

ChezHenry

Go for a dryer, more neutral wine, such as a Chardonay, Chablis or Pinot Grigio. Go French on the first two-they dont use Oak there for finishing. The rice will significantly absorb the flavoring, which is the idea of Risotto-dont let the wine interfere, go more neutral.

I typically use Pinot Grigio - northern Italian dish and wine from the Veneto...may be simplistic reasoning, but it works! (A decent one is fine for this; need not be the most costly one.)

cookinginvictoria

I agree with Pat -- I think that 1 cup of wine is too much for risotto since the rice absorbs the wine's flavors so readily. I usually use 1/4 to a 1/2 cup depending upon the quantity of risotto that I am making. I usually go with a dry white wine when making risotto -- a nice Pinot Gris or Pinot Blanc seems to work really well. :)

bigpan

I've always found it best to make the risotto with good broth or stock and save the wine for my glass.

Donna M

That seems like a lot of wine to me too - I use 1/3 cup for 2 cups rice. To be honest, my default white wine for cooking is dry (white) vermouth, especially when I'm only using a relatively small amount. I always have a bottle on hand, and since it's fortified it stays good for quite a while after it's opened. It has a nice smooth flavor in sauces and doesn't seem to overwhelm things, even though it is stronger than "regular" wine.

thirschfeld

Antonio, I find some sauvignon blanc to be too sweet to cook with. I often us Chardonnay as long as it isn't to oakey.

thirschfeld

Especially good are buttery chards