Pressure cooked lentils

I used to be terrified of pressure cookers despite my dad's endorsements and scientific lessons (he loved meat that would just fall right off the bone!) I have finally embraced them (great in the mile high city for kamut, beans and pork shoulder) but can't get lentils right. They are half crunchy, half mushy or worse, raw and burned. Any advice for perfecting high altitude pressure cooked lentils?

QueenSashy June 24, 2013

I am a scientist, and I am still terrified of them...

Voted the Best Reply!

boulangere June 24, 2013

Lentils cook so quickly that I'm not sure why you would want to pressure cook them at all.

savorthis
savorthis June 24, 2013

Funny Cynthia. I always think they cook quickly (and they do, relatively) but I go to cook them once I get home with my daughter and it's well over an hour to the table (thanks mile high city!). I prefer a pot but would love to master the super quick lentil dinner.

boulangere June 24, 2013

My daughter, a vegetarian, lives at a comparable altitude, and I suggested she set them to soak covered in cold water in the morning. By the time she arrives home in the evening and drains them, they make a 20 minute dinner.

savorthis
savorthis June 25, 2013

That's a great idea. And if I conquer my newest goal of adding some planning into my cooking life to make such a thing happen, I imagine it would be successful!