A question about a recipe: Chicken al Mattone with Thyme Pesto

20aaf767 4e72 49a2 8ce4 3ff6159050c3  cp brick

I have a question about the recipe "Chicken al Mattone with Thyme Pesto" from Waverly. When I grill chicken, I have a problem with flame flare ups from the chicken fat dripping on the gas flames. (I try to remove as much surface fat as possible before grilling. With the brick method, what do I do to control flare ups?

asked by Mary Rollins about 5 years ago

I suspect my answer is not the one you want to hear but, oh well. Chicken al Mattone is best cooked over wood coals. That drips down will come back up as flavor. Fat that drips onto an open flame catches fire and so, there are your flare ups which can char the underside of the chicken before it's fully cooked. Try lowering the gas flame and if possible elevating the grill higher.

Mary Rollins

Thanks for your input. I'll try some of your ideas when grilling chicken.