🔕 🔔

I grew up cooking with gooseberries in Ireland. Has anyone managed to buy them here in the States?

Anyone have any resources for gooseberries?
Thank You

asked by Rachel Gaffney almost 5 years ago

Sorry, by mistake I deleted the answer from Monita, one of our members. She said: I've seen them at Manhattan Fruit in Chelsea Market in NYC. Online you can check sidwainer.com

Rachel Gaffney

Thank you I will check them out

You don't say where you are, but yes, I've seen them occasionally in both the East and the West. I've also grown them. They were pretty problem-free.

Rachel Gaffney

Thank you. I live in Dallas,so not something I can get here. Looking for resource online to see if I can get them shipped.

I've seen them at farmer's markets in NYC; possibly also at Whole Foods Market.

Alana Barton

I have seen them at farmers markets and pick your own fruit farms.

petitbleu

They're all over the place in the Pacific NW. I've been able to find them at farmer's markets and some supermarkets. However, when I lived in the South, I had never seen a gooseberry, so it might make a big difference where you are.

Rachel Gaffney

Yes...they really are a fruit that loves a temperate climate, that's why I'm looking for an online resource... Lucky you

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Wild Harvest ships gooseberries, here's the link http://www.nwwildfoods...

Rachel Gaffney

Oh my gosh... Thank you thank thank thank you! I'm so happy and grateful to you.

jeinde

You might want to try growing them. Miller Nursery in Canaandaigua NY sells them and per their catalogue they are OK in your zone 8. I grow them in hot and humid DE with no problem. Just harvested the last of my crop.

Rachel Gaffney

Thank you so very much. I really appreciate this a lot. I am doing this for sentimental reasons ! Helps when I get a little homesick from time to time!

Rachel Gaffney

Thanks a million. I'm going to try.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

i just bought a pint at the greenmarket in nyc! thinking hard about what to do with them... what did you usually do with them in ireland? good luck finding!

Rachel Gaffney

Oh gosh, where do I begin ! My grandaunt used to grow them and I used to pick and eat them. Horrible raw ! Bitter. I made gooseberry crumble, gooseberry tart, gooseberry jam, gooseberry & elderflower preserve, gooseberry ice cream and my favorite... Gooseberry Fool. I am getting some sent to make jams and some of the above ! Nice to meet you.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

FYI bought more at another greenmarket today... for reference, nyc price is ~$8/quart

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

just saw your response!! sorry i missed it before i responded again.... those sound fantastic. i think i will try the gooseberry and elderflower preserve. thanks!

I love jeinde's suggestion to grow your own. Where I lived in Northern California they grew wild and abundantly. Friends would harvest them from surrounding low-lying areas verging upon coniferous forests and make jam from them.

If it's hard to source gooseberries locally or online, fresh currants are often a good substitute, more available.

In Dallas, if you have a Whole Foods, ask the produce department if they could order some for you -- you'd probably have to get a flat (like other berries are shipped in). ...Or other grocery or produce stores might help.

ATL
ATL

They also grow in the Midwest but except for people's gardens, I've only seen them at farmer's markets. A regional favorite in rural areas is gooseberry pie. Be prepared to remove lots and lots of little prickly things.

Kenzi Wilbur
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Thought I would throw this into the mix: http://food52.com/blog...

Also, we're seeing them at farmers markets in New York City now!