🔕 🔔

Sautéed potatoes and dried rosemary?

Is it possible to make sautéed potatoes with dried rosemary, or is fresh the only way to go? I'm worried that dried rosemary will end up too brittle.

asked by juliannamarie over 4 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I've done it both ways and in either case the rosemary gets a little hard/burned. But they both taste good so if you only have dried - use dried

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I always use fresh because I live in California and it grows year round. But when I lived in Washington state I used dry all the time. You'll still have good rosemary flavor, however I'd mince it for your potato dish. Enjoy!

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

I fall into the camp of preferring fresh rosemary. Prefer the softer texture and am fortunate to be able to grow fresh. I would probably substitute another fresh herb if I could not get my hands on fresh rosemary.

9c8f3f94 fb40 4a0c 9bce e3832197fc9d  image

If you don't have fresh rosemary just use the dried. It shouldn't be brittle since potatoes take a while to cool through.

Fresh is definitely preferred. If you are using dried you might want to run it through a spice grinder. Possibly you could add another dried herb to the grind, like maybe fennel seed.

If you use dried, just wait a little longer to put it in the pan and it shouldn't get the burned "stick-like" quality as much.