Herbs

What is the shelf life of fresh herbs such as Rosemary and Thyme chopped and sealed with Olive oil? Also does dried garlic have a shelf life in olive oil if it is sealed?

asked by Soumi about 6 years ago

If you are making a herb-infused olive oil, I'd recommend using whole sprigs. In a sealed jar it will stay fresh for up to a week. Bring it to room temp before using it.

Chopped herbs may turn black quickkly

bigpan

Just like with wine, light and oxygen are enemies to freshly dried herbs. Consider vacuum packing and only keeping an amount for a couple months in a tight jar in a dark area.
I recently bought $$$ of spices and the folks suggested by vacuum packing the life will extend to up to 4 years! I think 2 is more realistic.
I've not oil packed as I prefer to use dry.

Food-borne botulism is thankfully rare, but home garlic-in-oil concoctions have been the source of a couple of outbreaks. Not worth it.

SeaJambon

Let me add my voice and concerns to ChefOno and Greenstuff. Not worth it. Dry the herbs instead (simple: hang upside down in a dry, dark place until dried out); keep the garlic head together -- pulling off cloves as needed -- in a cool, dark place and they'll last several weeks if not months. Skip the whole olive oil idea.