Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

BBQ this weekend. Grilling lamb, ribs. Seafood for starters.

Crowd looks like being around 15-18. I am not an expert. Any tips?

asked by hotstuff101 over 3 years ago

I'm right there with petitbleu in terms of using the grill for flavor, and the oven for finishing. As for sauces on the other end, avoid this recently posted one like the plague, else you and your guests will be retching into your plates if you explain its provenance:

http://food52.com/recipes...

Fca4e46d 262a 416c 8ce5 316470249de2  565101 1406091363 1702312332 n

I guess I have always been a rib cheater petitbleu as that is how I always do them...especially when packing them for camping! Maybe now that I have a new grill I will try them the non-cheating way. But yes- we do a dry rub the night before (brown sugar, dry mustard, paprika, garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper) then bake just as petitbleu describes and grill and slather with sauce. Or, I could not get enough of Queen Sashy's masala chai ribs (http://food52.com/recipes...) which could be finished on the grill instead of the oven.

Cynthia- I had missed that gem so thanks for that...my eyes are burning...

For lamb, my favorite lately is the szechuan lamb which I did with lambchops but also do with a whole leg. We cut it into strips, marinate in the same marinade, skewer, sprinkle with spice, and grill (http://food52.com/recipes...). You can slice it the night before, marinate in the morning and it grills fairly quickly.

As for sides, a quick vinegary slaw, grilled corn if you have it yet (would also be great with that cilantro chimichurri mixed with butter) crusty bread, tomatoes...

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Speaking to ribs and lamb, I've done both of these recently. For pork ribs (a full rack of baby backs)I used a dry rub of pimenton and salt and smoked them over mixed hardwood charcoal for about two hours. I finished it with the Giddy Swamp sauce by Bubba Mac, which is possibly one of the best sauce recipes ever posted to Food52. Brush that on toward the end.
For lamb, I use rib chops. I french the bone and cook them over high heat Roman style for scotaditto which means "burn your fingers". You will need to add more coals to bring the grill back up to heat. After that they need nothing more than salt and perhaps a squeeze of lemon.

31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

To further ease the burden, I would serve steamed shrimp as my starter.

88597c11 2a26 4b90 b57f 47c17018b6f8  chillies

Thank you everybody. Seafood for starters is a good idea. As I am not a fan of smoked food of any kind, I'll be grilling normally. A dry rub is something to consider though. I like the whole Italian idea. Might skip the southern sauce. Wouldn't want to mix my cuisines at the one meal. All very helpful though and my sincere thanks for taking the trouble to advise me.