lamb ribs - advice!!

I have 2 racks of lamb ribs (like a baby-back cut, not rib chops) that I am going to cook for our Saturday football rib-off. My thought is a marinade of yogurt, lemon, olive oil, mint, oregano (honey maybe?) ... how long do you think I should marinate them? I want them tender but not mush. My plan is to oven cook them low and slow for a couple hours (wrapped in foil) then finish them on the grill.
And any side suggestions are appreciated too - I am pondering a Greek-ish potato salad but am not married to the idea.

• Posted by: aargersi
  • September 25, 2014

Susan W September 25, 2014

I love love lamb ribs. Love!! I like to dry rub them overnight. Then I make a glaze with apple cider vinegar and pomegranate molasses. I grill them on about medium until nicely charred on both sides. Then, I turn the heat to low and let them go for about 50 minutes basting and turning. I have never marinated them in yogurt. I don't think I would want all that enzyme action. However, I don't like fall off the bone tender ribs, so that part is totally personal. Guy Fieri does his wrapped in foil on top of onions for 90 minutes at 275° and then chars them on the grill.

I like your flavor profile ideas..I just worry about that yogurt. I love the idea of the greek-ish potato salad.

Meaghan F
Meaghan F September 25, 2014

Yeah, I agree with Susan that perhaps the yogurt marinade may not be your best bet... That said, a yogurt sauce on the side sounds amazing paired with the ribs dry rubbed, or roasted Tuscan-style with rosemary and hot peppers.

aargersi September 25, 2014

Oh that is a good idea! I will dry rub, low-n-slow on an onion mattress, then finish on the grill, and keep the yogurt as a side. I like the glaze thought too - will ponder my flavors. I think the tater salad will also have a dab of yogurt, fresh oregano, lemon, olive oil, red onion, kalamata olives, mint. Yum! Victory lap!!

Susan W September 25, 2014

Oh yum on all of that. I really like the idea of the yogurt based dipping sauce for those who dip. It will be fun to come up with a dry rub that fits the theme. However...my new favorite is from this site. Salt, pepper and brown sugar. It lets the flavor of the meat shine through, but still adds a crusty goodness.

ChefJune September 26, 2014

Have you tried these? https://food52.com/recipes...

aargersi September 26, 2014

I have June - I was actually the original tester on them for the walnuts and sage theme! My review was replaced with a newer one ... they are delicious!!!

babytiger
babytiger September 26, 2014

I like to steam or poach the ribs first, then dry rub (cumin, garam marsala, garlic, salt, paprika, cayenne, pinch of sugar) and finish in the broiler. I take them out when they look quite dark. It looks like they're a bit dry and overcooked, but the fat keeps the moist inside and I end up with nice crust.