🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Lavender & Verbena Scented Blueberry-Apricot Slab Pie

5a7266f6 28cc 4fd6 a8b1 a780a8c499ab  20130705 215448 kdcollage

I have a question about the recipe "Lavender & Verbena Scented Blueberry-Apricot Slab Pie" from hardlikearmour. Can I use another kind of fat instead of coconut fat? If yes, which one can be used? Thanks!

asked by MrsK about 4 years ago

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

You could use chilled vegetable shortening or even lard if you wanted. The shortening (which is 0% water, 100% fat--same as coconut oil) makes the crust nice and flaky, while the butter (about 15% water) imparts an excellent flavor and produces a tender crust.

7398fd5b b572 4a30 b7b7 22d5eb08b2a5  bonsai 2

Thank you so much for your answer, PetitBleu! I had no idea of the differences between coconut fat/lard/shortening and butter. Living and learning.

You're welcome! Glad I could help.