What to do with leftover corn husks and silks?

What can I do with corn husks and silks, aside from throwing them away?

asked by Marian Bull over 5 years ago

Compost them if that option is available for you.
Before I ever knew about composting. I would throw the silks and the husks into the leaves and grass clipping pile to be bagged up and hauled away by my city.

tamales! or this sounds yummy: http://www.nytimes.com...

EmilyC

Make stock with the corn husks and cobs. Or corn husk dolls if you're feeling crafty! : )

I make stock with the cobs, but not so much the husks. They go to compost.

EmilyC

Here's another idea from Ideas in Food -- roast your husks and then infuse milk or cream with them. They suggest corn husk caramel; I'll bet panna cotta would be interesting too. http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2011/07/roasted-corn-husks.html

GPeaslee

If the silk isn't dried out and brown, it's tasty! You can make tea with it or chop it up (so it doesn't choke you) and use it like a fresh herb (in vegetable or grain salads, for example). It doesn't have a strong flavor - sweet and a little corny. It's supposed to have health benefits and is used in herbal medicine too.

Benny

I would also make stock with the cobs. I keep the stock in the freezer and heat it up for blanching other vegetables.

petitbleu

You could even dry the husks and silks and use them to stovetop-smoke something.

lapadia

Husks, Silks and De-Kerneled corn cob recipe on site for another idea: http://food52.com/recipes...

I lay the clean husks and silk on the bottom of the pot that I'm cooking the corn in. It's supposed to give the cor more flavor. Then I should be staining the liquid for stock, I suppose.

Makes great soup!
http://food52.com/recipes...

lapadia

Exactly, SKK! Your soup recipe is what inspired my recipe :)