what to do with Corned Beef leftovers?

I'm looking for ideas on using left over corned beef. husband is allergic to potatoes. any suggestions? thank you

hardlikearmour March 16, 2011

Corned beef hash using sweet potatoes (in the morning glory family and completely unrelated to the potato.)

phyllis
phyllis March 16, 2011

There's nothing better than a warm corned beef sandwich on rye bread with spicy yellow mustard and cole slaw. That's the NYC woman speaking. There's always corned beef hash and fried eggs.

gulenay
gulenay March 16, 2011

Put it in a pan and cook add Tomotoes ketchup and cook serve it with rice yummy

gulenay
gulenay March 16, 2011

Also can add fried onions

AntoniaJames March 16, 2011

Roast some really good sauerkraut (from a glass jar, if you don't make it yourself), with a sliced onion, a bay leaf and dry white wine that's about half the volume of the sauerkraut. Stir it a few times during the cooking. Depending on how much you use, and how efficient your oven is, it should take about an hour or an hour and a half. When the sauerkraut has caramelized a bit, i.e., starting to turn a bit brown on top, put slices of corned beef underneath, to heat through, the cook for another ten or fifteen minutes at most. Serve with coarse, dark brown mustard and a good rye or whole grain artisanal bread. ;o)

mrssprat
mrssprat March 16, 2011

AntoniaJames, the roasted sauerkraut idea is brilliant, thank you so much!

AntoniaJames March 16, 2011

Thanks, mrssprat. (Love your cook name, by the way.) If you sauerkraut is very sharp, and/or your wine is rather dry, consider stirring in about a tablespoon of brown sugar to take the edge off. Also, this is a great way to cook a few sausages and smoked pork chops. I often roast sauerkraut like this on the weekend, or when I'm baking bread in the evening, in a glass baking dish (for which I have a cover), and then refrigerate it until I'm ready to add the meat. Then I pop the dish in the oven to warm the sauerkraut, adding the sausages or other meat for as long as it will take to cook or warm them, as the case may be. It makes an easy, delicious weeknight meal . . . . sort of a short-cut choucroute!! ;o)

LMO97
LMO97 March 16, 2011

Reuben DIP. Shred the corned beef & sauerkraut in food processor. Slowly melt 1 brick of cream cheese in a pan, stirring. Add the corned beef & sauerkraut. Along with shredded swiss cheese & 1000 Island dressing. Delish on small rye squares or crackers. Kids love it too and the sauerkraut is disguised. :)

Sam1148 March 16, 2011

How about a corned beef and cabbage soup? With diced potatoes?
That would be very good served with rye bread with melted Swiss cheese.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ March 17, 2011

NOTHING better than a Reuben sandwich on rye. Corned beef, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese. Mustard, maybe a little mayo. Butter the outside of the bread, and grill, or use a pannini press (or put another heavy pan on top of the sandwich, weighted down by a couple of large, heavy cans). I'm looking forward to the Reuben more than I am the corned beef and cabbage.

betteirene
betteirene March 17, 2011

This recipe uses corned beef, corn and Corn Nuts. http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/triple-corn-chowder-145488/

Or a riff on AJ's suggestion, reuben pizza made with the roasted sauerkraut: http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/reuben-pizza-144375/

lapadia
lapadia March 18, 2011

Hi, How about a Corned Beef & Sauerkraut Quiche - link attached: