🔕 🔔

Best way to store little organic carrots?

I got a delivery from my CSA of the smallish, narrow carrots and popped them in my fridge, thinking they'd last a good long time like normal carrots, but less then one week later, they're all wilted and sad. Is there a better way to store this kind of carrot, or should I just plan to use them up quickly?

asked by Kanom about 4 years ago

D5541489 96fb 4b93 979f 7088809f4b2d  10373075 10100507743110541 5511741949794204925 o
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi Kanom-- Carrots do get sad, don't they? Totally know what you mean. For regular carrots, I keep them in the crisper in a closed container/bag. Anything that gets a little wilty like that, I like to put in water to rehydrate a little. Cut off fresh ends for better water re-entry. Works for celery, beets, carrots...

How long had you wanted to wait to use them?

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If they have their tops (the green feathery leaves), cut them off.

Thanks for the tip! I've now googled "cutting green tops off carrots" and the mystery is solved. Love learning new stuff. Rebecca, I'll try rehydrating last week's bunch to see if they can be salvaged, and I hope to keep this week's bunch happier and healthier. Didn't have a particular time frame in mind, it's just that I count on carrots being the item that I can forget about for a little while while I figure out what to do with the more perishable goodies....

I had the same thing happen to me - forgot the beautiful carrots at the back of the crisper with greens attached. I just peeled the limp carrots and added to a stew. While it was a waste of the great organic produce, at least i did not have to throw tjem out. The greens were thrown out however.