Best way to use up a bag of baby carrots?

I very recently found that raw carrots and I do not get along anymore, so I have a full bag of baby carrots to get rid of before they go bad (I'd hate to throw them all away). Any suggestions?

asked by Stacy Scheier over 3 years ago

petitbleu

Look for Molly Wizenberg's (of the blog Orangette) pickled carrot recipe. It's the best I've tried yet, and baby carrots are perfect for it. You can wedge them down in the jar really nicely.

keg72

I don't have access to it right now, but my recipe for carrot soufflé (Google the dish, and you'll find a whole slew of recipes) calls for baby carrots. I'm not sure why it does, but it does . . . .

Make a carrot cake or potato & carrot mash or latkes..

Heather Sol

Roast with evoo, salt and pepper at 375 degrees until caramelized. 30 minutes or so.

I like this idea bc it will help remove the water in the carrots, give you something you can digest and something you can freeze for later use in various dishes. It's second best idea. Best was giving them away.

Chop them up in a food processor (or by hand) and add them to soup.

Regine

This is one of my most favorite veggie recipe, and the main ingredient is baby carrots. I actually ate the last remaining portion today for lunch with roasted salmon. If you only have 1 lb, just adjust accordingly.
Marinated Baby Carrots
2 lb. baby carrots
3/4 c. water
1/2 c. white vinegar
½ c. salad oil (I use Wesson or
Crisco oil)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 red med. onion, sliced thin (or 1 couple of shallots)
6 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tsp sugar
Optional - ¼ to ½ cup chopped parsley or cilantro

Steam baby carrots till tender but firm. I use the microwave to do this. Cool. This is optional but it is worth it because the liquid goes inside the carrots better this way: Slice each baby carrot in 2 lengthwise. Put remaining ingredients into a container and mix (except for parsley). Add carrots, and parsley. Mix and put into refrigerator. Marinate AT LEAST six hours - preferably a day.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I just saw this on The Kitchn:
http://www.thekitchn.com...

ktr
ktr

I'm half tempted to try that recipe but I can't imagine carrots and barbecue sauce tasting good together.

Pat them dry and roast them until browned and tender, sprinkled with salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet coated with olive oil. (drizzle with more olive oil prior to roasting).

ktr
ktr

Dress them with butter, salt and maple syrup and roast them.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

FWIW, I had an unwanted bag of those once and as it turns out, my dog loves them. I mean CRAZY loves them. Dunno if you have a dog around, but if you do he/she might be very grateful for a good game of "fetch (and then devour) the carrot", and then you wouldn't have to waste them OR spend time and energy on cooking something that doesn't agree with you. Not really a "cooking" answer, but just a thought...

ktr
ktr

My vet told me to give our dog carrots for treats because they are really healthy for dogs. My dog loves them too!

Such a good idea. My dog loves them. I buy the organic variety and tossing them down the hallway is how she gets exercise in the winter.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Ah, just reread and saw that it was only raw carrots that disagreed with you. Well, anyway, the dog thing still an easy solution...

Fat Tony

Send them to Molly Fuller, she has a carrot soup that needs to be diluted.

Interesting comments. A friend brought me a jar of homemade pickles on Christmas that included baby carrots. The cukes and zucchini were DEEE-licious. I tried the carrots and could not eat them. They had the strangest texture.
And yes, Stephanie, they are also treated with chlorine.

mainecook61

ChefJune is right. Baby carrots are not "baby," just processed junk. Put them in the compost and return them to the earth from whence they came, once upon a time, long ago.

Susan

Guinea pigs, horses, and hens love carrots too. :-)

London_Eats

Carrot & Coriander soup? Brown some onions or shallots in olive oil, add ground coriander seeds, then add chopped carrots. Cook briefly, then add stock. Either mash it or puree, serve with a swirl of cream and lots of crusty bread.