Yellow zucchini

Our CSA gave us yellow zucchini this week. We treated it like green zucchini and threw it on the grill. It was inedible. Super bitter and the skin was too rind-y too chew, if that makes sense. What should I do differently next time (besides peel the squash)?

asked by MTMitchell almost 5 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

That's a bummer. Was it the straight long kind? Also, was it over 8"? Sometimes older zucchini can taste bitter. I typically buy both green and yellow zucchini squash at the farmers market and I can't tell the difference. I hope you got some other delicious vegetables that make up for the crummy zucchini. Take care.

ATG117

This may be a silly question, but are you sure it's yellow zucchini and not some other type of squash?

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Not silly at all ATG117. I think you made a great observation.

MTMitchell

We got lots of other goodness in our basket, so that's good, and I suspect it was older squash. It was longer than 8 inches. And I questioned the classification too. Dug the "here's what you got" sheet out of the garbage to double check. Now I know for next time -- peel it and maybe salt it.

petitbleu

Was it oblong like zucchini or a slightly different shape? Some of the pattypan varieties are tougher and require longer cooking. It could also have been a lemon cucumber--they're yellow and round to oblong shaped.