How to make cookies less cake-y

I'm trying to experiment with a cookie recipe that I love - specifically these Zucchini-Lemon Cookies http://www.food52.com/recipes.... They are quite cake-y, and I would like to make them more cookie-like: less puffed, more chew and/or crunch. What is the best way to adjust the ratios of ingredients to get this texture?

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti July 20, 2011

Up the fat, lower the dry ingredients. Play with that relationship. I feel a cookie sandwich coming on ...

AntoniaJames July 20, 2011

Also, reducing the baking time by a minute or 2 often produces a chewier cookie. ;o)

Voted the Best Reply!

hardlikearmour July 20, 2011

Here are some tips on cookie texture alteration from Cook's Illustrated. Hope it helps.
By adjusting key ingredients, you can change the texture of any cookie recipe.

If you want chewy cookies, add melted butter. Butter is 20 percent water. Melting helps water in butter mix with flour to form gluten.

If you want thin, candy-like cookies, add more sugar. Sugar becomes fluid in the oven and helps cookies spread.

If you want cakey cookies, add more eggs. Yolks make cookies rich, and whites cause cookies to puff and dry out.

If you want an open, coarse crumb and craggy top, add baking soda. Baking soda reacts quickly with acidic ingredients (such as brown sugar) to create lots of gas bubbles.

If you want a fine, tight crumb and smooth top, add baking powder. Baking powder works slowly and allows for an even rise.

KatyM
KatyM July 19, 2012

Wonderful answer! Thank you, so informative.

drbabs July 20, 2011

This is sort of an add-on question, but don't you think these particular cookies are going to be pretty cakey no matter what because the zucchini provides so much moisture?

BusDriver
BusDriver July 23, 2011

Try decreasing the sugar by 1/4 cup and adding 1/2 cup of light corn syrup. The liquid sweetener helps the cookie maintain its chew by adding moisture.

petitbleu
petitbleu July 19, 2012

For future questions of this nature, reference Shirley Corriher's Bakewise (if you don't have it, get it and put it next to On Food and Cooking). I use it all the time for things like this.