🔕 🔔

overpowering onion

I made homemade salsa and found the onion I used had a very overpowering flavor that has ruined the salsa. Is there any way to correct this or should the salsa be thrown out? Unfortunately I made a large 3 pound batch.

asked by Marri about 4 years ago

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

You might try taking half of it out, then add more salsa ingredients (minus the onion).

Either toss the other half or try to incorporate it into some other use. Depending on what's in your salsa, you can make gazpacho, or use it in a sauce.

Is there already some sort of acid in the salsa? The acid (lemon/lime juice, vinegar, etc.) will mellow out the onion the longer it marinates in the fridge.
You can also try adding a couple pinches of sugar or a squeeze of honey/agave to mellow it out. That, or some sort of other sweet ingredient (like a fruit; mango, apple, pineapple, etc.) to cut the onion flavor.
Or, just make it a 3 1/2 pound batch and leave out the onion in the last round of ingredients. I.e. more tomatoes and herbs.

...Or some roasted or raw sweet corn.

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

If you soak the onion slices in ice water for about 20 minutes the flavor will mellow out.

Dice the onion, run under water in a fine mesh sieve. Some of the pungent flavors will dissipate. I also love using fresh sweet onions for applications like this... Guac, salas, etc. shallots also works nicely for a bit more mild flavor.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I've found this happening in late winter when onions have been stored for long periods of time. Or shipped from the southern hemisphere.

Very bitter...very sulfur and there's not much you can do for it except use it as a learning experience and taste the onion before using it.
I'm rather suprised this has happned to you in the summer months where onions are usually sweeter and not stored----but then again your source for onions might be ditching some long term storage nitrogen stored onions from the winter or last year and clearing out their warehouse.

I agree on the suggestion to add lime juice or vinegar.