How can I use up a LOT of pico de gallo, "fresh" salsa left over from a catering event?

Cups and cups of it, heavy on the onion. What can I cook with it? Can I freeze it? I hate for it to go to waste.

• Posted by: Bascula
  • April 20, 2018

Smaug April 20, 2018

It can work pretty well as an ingredient in mixed rice (or other grain) and mixed vegetable (combines especially well with corn) dishes, but "cups and cups" might be a bit difficult. Also can be mixed with simple ingredients such as cooked seafoods for a taco filling. Should freeze decently.

Nancy April 20, 2018

Bottle it prettily, pack with a few related foods, and use as a promotional or thank you gift.

Voted the Best Reply!

BerryBaby April 20, 2018

Make soup by adding chicken broth and freeze it in containers. When ready to use, add shredded chicken and taco chips. Top with shredded cheddar a dollup of sour cream....Taco Soup! BB

Bascula
Bascula April 20, 2018

Hmm, this has some potential.

BerryBaby April 20, 2018

Let us know if you give it a try. I have made this before and it’s quite good. After it has come to a simmer, adjust the seasonings to your liking. I add a bit of cumin and red pepper flakes.

Miss Karen
Miss Karen April 21, 2018

Make tortilla soup. Put the pico de gallo in the pan. Saute it- then puree. Proceed with the other ingredients.

Miss Karen
Miss Karen April 21, 2018

Other ingredients would be chicken stock,cumin, chili powder, crushed tortilla chips, a bit of coriander and some corn.

Megan
Megan April 21, 2018

Could you cook it down in some oil to make a sofrito that you could use as a base for future recipes? You can freeze sofrito in small quantities and add a bit to rice, chicken, beans, stews, etc.

Rita L Villa
Rita L Villa April 24, 2018

You can also put it in a jar, that last for about a week or so.