How can I use up a LOT of pico de gallo, "fresh" salsa left over from a catering event?

Cups and cups of it, heavy on the onion. What can I cook with it? Can I freeze it? I hate for it to go to waste.

asked by Bascula 7 months ago

It can work pretty well as an ingredient in mixed rice (or other grain) and mixed vegetable (combines especially well with corn) dishes, but "cups and cups" might be a bit difficult. Also can be mixed with simple ingredients such as cooked seafoods for a taco filling. Should freeze decently.

Bottle it prettily, pack with a few related foods, and use as a promotional or thank you gift.

Miss Karen

Make tortilla soup. Put the pico de gallo in the pan. Saute it- then puree. Proceed with the other ingredients.

Miss Karen

Other ingredients would be chicken stock,cumin, chili powder, crushed tortilla chips, a bit of coriander and some corn.

Megan

Could you cook it down in some oil to make a sofrito that you could use as a base for future recipes? You can freeze sofrito in small quantities and add a bit to rice, chicken, beans, stews, etc.

Rita L Villa

You can also put it in a jar, that last for about a week or so.