steaming summer squash

I have some beautiful little summer squash - yellow with green tips. I hate to cut them up or do anything to dull their look. I made a cilantro pesto to drizzle on them. Can I steam them whole or do I have to cut them up? How many minutes should I steam them? They are about 5-6" long and about 1.5" thick at the thickest point.

asked by Inko about 5 years ago

I'd cut them in half long ways and give them a coating with a garlicly olive oil, salt pepper. And steam them for 3 mins.

It's a matter of taste...I personally like them a bit crunchy instead of wilted. Have one half as a sacrificial one to test while your steaming them.

Inko

Thanks. I hadn't thought to do a test - good idea.

JanetFL

One of my favorites is in fact to cut them up and then microwave then in two-minute increments. I usually microwave sliced green onions in butter for two minutes or so before adding the sliced squash. Microwave for two minutes, stir, then microwave for another two minues. Add whatever seasonings you prefer and enjoy!

Declan

Slice them bias cut, about 1 cm thick and steam for 5 mins. They'll still be el dente at that point. While warm toss them in olive oil, oregano, garlic and salt & pepper. Alternately, toss them in Italian dressing.

bigpan

I agree with Sam, but would BBQ instead of steaming. Get nice grill marks, guests will love it .

I love those little summer squash, but I prefer to sauté them in olive oil with herbs and garlic, and then sprinkle them with my vinegar of chouce.

rengahan

If you steam them plain and whole, check them at three to five minutes. You may want to sprinkle them with salt just to encourage their softening. Let them steam above simmering water rather than a rolling boil. If they are not done, let them go for a few minutes more. As for determining how done, look at the color. A crunchy steamed vegetable is brighter than a soft steamed vegetable.

petitbleu

I agree with Sam on this one--normally, I prefer the flavor of roasted or sautéed vegetables, but for little squash, steaming can be a beautiful way to cook them. They'll keep their color and gorgeous shape, and their delicate flavor will shine. Cutting them in half will ensure that they cook evenly. Steaming is often underrated because so many of us grew up on overcooked, tasteless steamed food, but for certain preparations it's perfect.

Inko

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I steamed them whole for about 5 minutes and they were perfect. They retained their beauty and they were steamed through. The spicy sauce drizzled on them kept them from being boring. Next time I cook them I'll try some of your other suggestions.