Ginger snap cookies go flatj

My moms gingersnap recipe made ginger snaps that were puffy, crisp and cracked on top and delicious but when I try to make them they flatten out and are kind of chewy. she uses Crisco and sifts the dry mixture over the creamed shortening several times , mixing in by hand. what am I doing wrong and how can I get them to be puffy and cracked on top and crunchy. Thanks

• Posted by: emda
  • August 7, 2013

Maedl August 7, 2013

Are you using butter or margarine in place of Crisco? That could make a difference. Have you made any other changes or substitutions? I have a friend who used the baking soda she keeps as a freshener in the refrigeration as a substitute for baking powder . . . and wondered why her cake didn’t turn out.

emda
emda August 7, 2013

Thanks for the response. I did use Crisco and my baking soda was still good. Is it possible that hand mixing in the flour mixture Thanks for response, I am using Crisco and my soda is still good. Perhaps I should have used the mixer, however, the recipe indicates to sift twice and then sift again in 1/4's over the wet ingredients and stir well.

Maedl August 7, 2013

Yes, perhaps you should try using a mixer--that would incorporate more air, which would help in the rise. Have a look at this, too: http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/25879/how-to-get-cracks-in-my-ginger-molasses-cookies
You might also check Joy of Cooking to see if it has anything to say about ginger cookies and their cracks. Good luck. Just thinking about ginger cookies is making my mouth water!

emda
emda August 9, 2013

Thanks,

hardlikearmour August 9, 2013

What leavener are you using? If it's baking powder, I'd try substituting some baking soda. 1/4 teaspoon baking soda has the same leavening power as 1 teaspoon baking powder, assuming there is an acidic ingredient like brown sugar or molasses in the mix.

RespectThePastry
RespectThePastry August 10, 2013

You may also put the cookie dough in the fridge or freezer for awhile. This way when you put the cookie scoops in the oven it will take longer to heat the cookie through and by the time they heat through a crust is formed around the cookie keeping their shape from however you scooped them.