🔕 🔔

angel food cake - the top is a bit sticky!

I made Merrill's version of the Joy of Cooking's Angel Food Cake last night (Angel Food Cake with Heath Bar Whipped Cream Icing), minus the topping. Lovely and a great use for my stash of egg whites. But the top turned out kind of tacky. Doesn't hurt the taste at all but I certainly don't remember my mother's being sticky on top. Any ideas on why this happened? Thanks!!

asked by tammany about 4 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

This has happened to me occasionally too -- usually seems to have to with the weather. Is it humid where you are?

Hi Merrill - thanks for answering! I'm in Toronto which doesn't *seem* superhumid to me, but perhaps 48% relative humidity is too humid for a dry angel food cake. I wondered if I'd done something wrong - didn't whip enough, whipped too much, frozen egg whites - but if it's just the weather, I will continue as before! As I said, the taste wasn't altered at all, just the texture. And AFC is such a great way to use up the egg whites I accumulate from making ice cream!

In high humidity, it helps to bake angel food cake a couple of minutes longer.

I will absolutely try this two ice cream batches from now. Thanks!