A question about a recipe: Heidi Swanson's Baked Oatmeal

4c6ada18 c211 4827 a783 b8a33628fdb1  2013 0611 nicholas baked oatmeal 033 cleaned up

I have a question about the recipe "Heidi Swanson's Baked Oatmeal" from Nicholas. Can you use steel-cut oats instead?

asked by 2Ys about 5 years ago

MaggieRosenthal

I would think that you could replace the rolled oats with steel-cut oats, but you would have to adjust the recipe and the texture in the end wouldn't be the same. Steel-cut oats take a lot longer to cook than rolled oats and require more liquid, but you could try partially cooking the steel-cut oats on the stovetop according to their package instructions before mixing them with the other ingredients and baking it. It might take a bit of experimentation to get the new proportions just right, but it's worth a try.